1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Creating A Launcher/Theme For Seniors?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by bluekaiser, Aug 7, 2013.

1. bluekaiser

bluekaiser Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    I'm trying to make a very simple theme suitable for seniors for my family but I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around all the custom launchers and themes requirements.

The phone is an Android 2.2 and I'm trying to emulate https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gammapps.SimplePhone

The home theme is close to what I need but enlargement of all the other phone functions isn't needed. So what would be the right tools for me to start developing this theme? Thanks :D

Advertisement

2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Make it so you can SEE the icons and maybe not so touch sensitive.
    The Vulcan couldn't hold the Nexus S without turning it off. I have the Nexus 4 in a harder case, that one he can deal with.

I had hysterics watching him try to find the time line on an MP4 using MX video ON A 10" TABLET!

3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    The Vulcan??

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    ^^ his partner lol :D i think he forgets that not everyone knows this.. it took me months to ask :beer:

electricpete likes this.
  5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    "Logical" "It doesn't compute" and he has a Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Nomad.
    He's got a degree in Electrical Engineering and I was warned NOT to let an EE touch the phone by some one on this forum.

Seriously, though, a fast touch screen might give some seniors a problem. Maybe putting a large transparent area around icons (padding) might just help. Also an obvious stop or back icon on the screen. The Vulcan did ask how you stopped something aka the "Escape" key on a computer.

He can hold extremely tiny screws like for eyeglasses, so touch skills are there, but somehow it doesn't translate to a capacitive screen.

6. bluekaiser

bluekaiser Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    In case anyone is interested I was able to find a suitable solution using an app called Desktop Visualizer. It allows you to place custom widgets ranging from 1x1 all the way to 4x4. So you could make giant widgets and whatever icon you place for the widget will stretch accordingly. I would mark the topic [solved] but I'm not sure if users have that ability here :eek:. Just a suggestion in case anyway else was trying to achieve the same goal.