• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Creating an AOSP Based Rom.

SykkNyzz

Android Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2012
Florence, SC
I'm trying to do the best to create a ROM for this phone.
But a problem I'm having is most of the guides I see are kinda making my head hurt.
Are there specific sites or any advice I can get from the devs to create my own?
I got 14.04, SDK, & JRE set up. But after that I'm lost.
I really want to build a KK based ROM so I can get started somewhere.
I would appreciate any help.

ive been looking at it too some things your going to need.. http://opensource.lge.com/osSch/list?types=ALL&search=lg+volt
i also think you need jdk6 installed. there is also like 3 versions of KK. i downloaded the 3 revision but thats is far as i got since i uninstalled ubuntu 15.10 because it ran like crap on my laptop. i could only have like 6 tabs on firefox running and my system became really unstable. I switched to Chromixium. Its lighter and still uses ubuntu osp. Most of the asop forks are just built on cyanogen, and add intergrade features from xposed with a theme; which curtis is doing to the stock rom. So help us get cm11 smooth and it will be much easier to port to different asop, and will have curtis with his knowledge of the xml files come theme yo.

Readme
Code:
1. Android build
  - Download original android source code ( kitkat 4.4.2 ) from http://source.android.com
  - Untar opensource packages of LS740_andoid_KK.tar.gz* into downloaded android source directory
    a) tar -zxvf LS740_andoid_KK.tar.gz
  - And, merge the source into the android source code
  - Run following scripts to build android
    a) source build/envsetup.sh
    b) choosecombo 1 generic user
    c) make -j4
  - When you compile the android source code, you have to add google original prebuilt source(toolchain) into the android directory.
  - After build, you can find output at out/target/product/generic

2. Kernel Build
  - Uncompress using following command at the android directory
        tar xvzf LS740_KK_kernel.tar.gz
  - When you compile the kernel source code, you have to add google original prebuilt source(toolchain) into the android directory.
  - Run following scripts to build kernel
    a)$cd kernel
      $mkdir -p out
    b)$export ARCH=arm
    c)$export TARGET_PRODUCT=x5_spr_us
    d)$export DTS_TARGET=msm8226-x5_spr_us
    e)$export PATH=$PATH:tools/lz4demo
    f)$export CROSS_COMPILE=$(pwd)/../prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.6/bin/arm-eabi-
    g)$make O=./out ARCH=arm x5_spr_us_defconfig
    h)$make O=./out -j4
        * "-j4" : The number, 4, is the number of multiple jobs to be invoked simultaneously.
        * lz4demo : lz4demo is included in kernel/tools/lz4demo(change mode for excuting, chmod 777 lz4demo).
            More information can be found at "https://code.google.com/p/lz4/"
  - After build, you can find the build image(zImage) at out/arch/arm/boot

3. how  to build chromium_lge (vendor\lge\external\chromium_lge\src),
   please refer to README.txt at the folder mentioned above.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-01-16 13:55:51.png
    Screenshot from 2016-01-16 13:55:51.png
    145.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot from 2016-01-16 13:56:56.png
    Screenshot from 2016-01-16 13:56:56.png
    238.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SykkNyzz
Upvote 0
Well.. I'm in due process... Thank you for your assistance.
The best place to begin is to try and replicate something that already exists - try compiling CM11 or OmniROM using @whoshotjr2006 's sources, as he suggested. It's a lot easier to pore over the code after that and figure out what's going where and how the compiler builds the Android system.

Are you trying to port another open-sourced ROM to this device? Or are you trying to create something new, using one of these custom ROMs as a base?

Glad to see someone else getting their hands dirty in the code here :)

Reactions: Bad_MOFO_33
Upvote 0
Reactions: SykkNyzz
Upvote 0
Yup. I am setting up #!++ as I speak. I was running lubuntu well until I upgraded and well... Ubuntu is sneaky with "giving you what you don't want". Kernel panics from preinstalled WiFi drivers are a hassle so I'm just trying anything Deb related. I lack an Ethernet cable and prefer not to connect to the modem constantly... So easytether is my go to. Although mini xp from Hirens, when configured, is a beast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones