1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

creating an app similar to navigator, need help

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by draglord, Apr 10, 2012.

1. draglord

draglord Lurker

hi all,
    this is my first post here,and i am a newbie to android programming( and java too, in fact)

i am creating an app similar to navigator, only that it is not restricted to US only,

now, it works as follows
    1) user speaks the destination location, which is converted to text, sent to google maps for processing
    2) google maps calculates route between current location and destination location, sends back the route, in text form
    3) this text is converted back to speech using text to speech converter, issued to user

till now, i have set up the sdk,adk,eclipse and adt, enabled google maps after getting the key from google using keytool, have the working code for text to speech converter, and i can get my current location(of emulator) using coordinated sent by eclipse.

Thing is, how do i integrate all thees independent modules?
    like, how do i send the output of step 1 as input to step 2?

help is appreciated, thank you

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Thread moved to development forum for dev support.

3. draglord

draglord Lurker

i thought i'd get help regarding this

4. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Android Expert

You are essentially asking us to design the app for you. If you can't figure this out, you aren't quite ready to undertake this project. Take a step back, and do smaller apps first, preferably break down your application into smaller pieces and start with those.

5. draglord

draglord Lurker

all right just tell me this
    when google maps show directions from one point to another, where does it save that data, in a text file or something?

6. neo_the_one

neo_the_one Member

Maybe the cache is saved in android/data/com.maps...
    Or wait, doesnt it loads in the ram..

sent from my rooted gingerbread GT-B7510 using tapatalk

7. draglord

draglord Lurker

ok can i make it save the data in some other file?

ALSO, is it possible that i call google maps from another application which i have created

8. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Android Expert

As a developer, you are in charge of serializing this data. It is not done for you out of the box.

9. draglord

draglord Lurker

i am just trying to ask for some guidance, a direction thats all
    how is this possible, to get the output of google map, and a way to give it an input from a file,
    a lead, please

10. wubbzy

wubbzy Well-Known Member

Just to point you in the right direction, you need to walk it and endure it along the way :)

1: for speech to text look @ java - Speech to Text on Android - Stack Overflow

2: As far as I know this is not possible in free version of google map that you're planning to use. You have to pay big-G approx $10K US to get API's that allow you to do this. That said take a look at mytracks - MyTracks for Android - Google Project Hosting, it may give you some idea on using way-points and then using smoothing algorithms [not sure of the name, but look up the code].

3: Take a look at this example TextToSpeechActivity.java | Android Developers

4: Integration of all these is called the app, give it a shot, start out with small code, you'll stumble, fall, but eventually you'll get there :)

5: Google maps data is stored as binary in your on app private area /data/data/com.xx.yy/cache the files are named *tile*, for map tiles, though thats just the tile cache. Most of the data relevant to coordinates is fetched at runtime from google server, it is proprietary and they protected it and its format close to chest, though not saying you can't guess it i.e. bounding box of port etc.

May I add #6
    Please do some research, people here will gladly help you about specific questions. But they won't do the job for you.

Good luck.