1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Creating Custom Icons

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by JubbaTheHutt, Aug 16, 2010.

1. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    So I'm in the process of creating a few custom icons. The images I'm working with, will have a transparent background. Unfortunately, when I attempt to change specific apps' icons, my phone will not display the custom icons in .png format, only .jpg (which of course forces a solid background on an image).

I'm pretty sure the Android OS system allows .pngs for icons, but again, I'm at a total loss of trying to figure it out.

Could anyone be so kind to help me?

Advertisement

2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Nov 28, 2009
    Which icons are you trying to change? Are you rooted?

3. JubbaTheHutt

Jul 7, 2010
    I am not rooted. I'm attempting to switch out icons for apps via my screens as well as my launcher...that's it.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the backgrounds transparent, AND have them recognized via my phone. For some strange reason, I can view .png based icons when using BetterCut (downloading iconpacks via the market), however when I attempt to transfer them to my "gallery" that is when I cannot access them...

Does that make sense?

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Nov 28, 2009
    Makes prefect sense.

I know nothing about better cut but if you shoot me a PM (to remind me), I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow.

5. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    Where do you have the icons stored on your phone?

6. JubbaTheHutt

Jul 7, 2010
    I created a folder in my DCIM folder labeled "Icons". I noticed in the BB icon thread you mentioned I should use BetterCut, which I already have. Unfortunately, when I use it to choose custom icons, I'm not able to access the "Icons" folder I created; I can only access icon packs that I have downloaded from the market...

7. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    I use Desktop Visualizer, I find it quicker than Bettercut and its free. Give it a try and see if it fixes your problems.

8. JubbaTheHutt

Jul 7, 2010
    Alright folks, well my noobness knows no bounds.

I realized the only way to properly transfer custom icons to my phone, and have them recognized when attempting to customize apps, was by making sure I transferred them with the "Mass Storage" setting on. I had it in "PC Mode" previously.

No worries now, I'm good to go.

9. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Nov 28, 2009
    Glad you got it! Ignore my PM response.