• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Creating Maps app release version

gezh

Jul 12, 2009
I have a Maps app, which is working fine in debug mode. I've followed the steps https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/android-sdk/get-api-key to set up the project, and create the API key - the map displays as intended.

When it comes to creating the release build, I'm having no luck. Again, I've followed all the steps to get the SHA1 of my keystore, restrict the API key etc - but when I create a release build and test it, the Map doesn't display.

I've tried so many things, so may combinations of keys and restrictions, I must be missing something obvious. So if anyone can suggest anything I may be doing wrong, please do!

The only specific question I have is: Should I be using the same API key for both debug and release, or should I create one key for each version? (I've tried it both ways, and neither are working for me).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones