1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support creating photo albums on the evo...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Caine92, May 7, 2011.

1. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    That with all the Evo can do, I can't create picture albums in the gallery without using a computer.

I want to be able to hide photo albums on my Evo without using a computer and be able to make them show up again without using a computer.

I've heard about things like Astro File Manager, can I do this with that program or something similar? If so can anyone tell me how?

Advertisement

2. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert
    None

You cannot create, but you can most definitely hide albums.

You can hide albums right on the device.

In gallery

1. Menu
    2. Settings
    3. Default Albums
    4. Check/uncheck albums you would like to show/unshow

3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    You can also create folders using Astro File Manager, move photos there and treat them like a album.

Then use KENNECTED's method to hide them, or in Astro, add yet another folder inside them called .nomedia

.nomedia prevents anything next to it from being seen by any media app - remove .nomedia when done.

Whichever way you find most comfortable is the right way.

BTW and FWIW - I'm finding I'm liking EStrongs File Manager more and more over Astro for this kind of stuff.

I'll take conference photos at work, for example, and then photos of the grandkids, and manage them separately that way - EStrongs File Manager has a pretty worthy photo-view to boot.

4. beezy

beezy Member
    None

Dec 20, 2009
    I've had pics that I didn't want to show up in the gallery before and just changed file name so that its not recognized anymore even if it's something simple as removing the g from the .jpg on the end. And then when you want to look at it you just find the file on the SD card with astro or whatever file manager you use and long press then hit open as, then pick image and it will send it to the picture viewer.

5. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    there are also apps in the market.. that can lock and hide an album.

6. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    Can anyone tell me how to hide the Camera Shots album that shows up when you record a video? It's not listed in the default albums and I can't find it in Astro.

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Pictures and vids are in the sdcard under DCIM/100MEDIA.

If you create a .nomedia folder there, no media access to that can happen - until you remove it.

Pictures are type jpg, vids are type 3gp.

8. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    But I don't see the folders I want to hide in Astro so I can't place the .nomedia folder there.

Thanks to everyone replying. But I'm a bit confused. I have a few things I want to do to organize my gallery, so I was hoping someone could walk me step-by-step to get it like this.

1. I want to hide the Camera Shots folder that appears whenever you take a picture or video. It's not listed in the default folders menu and I don't see it in the Astro File Manager program. This doesn't show up anywhere on my SD card when I plug it in to my computer either, so I can't place the .nomedia file there.

2. Basically I just want MY folders to show up. No folders with all of the camera shots I've taken, or videos I have. Just picture and video folders that I create myself.

9. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    I don't understand the problem. As I mentioned - on the Evo - any camera shot you take, still pic or vid - will go into /sdcard/DCIM/100MEDIA folder.

You must have that folder.

10. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    I do, but nothing is in it.

Also, if it was, I still don't understand how that will let me hide the Camera Shots folder. Is that folder supposed to be showing in the /sdcard folder or something?

11. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    I think I understand what your saying. The pictures/videos I take should go to that folder, which is where I would create the .nomedia file in Astro.

But all of my pictures/videos that I take on my camera go to a folder simply called 'pictures.' I tried creating the .nomedia folder within it, but it didn't do anything.

12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    I'm really stumped!

DCIM stands for Digital Camera IMages - it's an industry standard - if you look at digital cameras, even they put their pictures under there.

Android has always put its pictures and vids there - all Android.

Are you running some unique rom or custom camera app or something?

And the Android gallery - always responds to the .nomedia file (or directory).

13. isaemm

isaemm Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Male
    NorCal

To have a hidden folder you must create a folder in the root of the sd card. I use astro for this. You can name it anything you want but you MUST put a . in front of the name. The . prevent the folder from displayng in the gallery. Also if you want to create folders for your gallery simply make them in the root the sd card and they will sure in the gallery once a picture is placed in the folder.

14. Caine92

Caine92 Newbie
    None

May 5, 2011
    Restored my phone to factory settings and now your method is working perfectly. Thank you for your help and patience.

EarlyMon likes this.
Tags: