1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Criminal Mistreatment by Google over broken nexus 5x

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ben5674, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Ben5674

Ben5674 Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2017
    I bought a Nexus 5X brand new from Google not long after the phone came out. After about a year of ownership, the phone suddenly stopped turning on, crashing upon every attempt to power up. This rendered the device completely unusable, so I contacted Google. They promised me they would send me a new replacement device, understanding time was of the essence (being as I was without a phone). The promised delivery date comes and goes, so I reach out again to Google, and am told that due to stocking complications, it will take longer than previously anticipated to get me my replacement phone. But as alternative, I am told they would be willing to simply allow me to return my phone for a $400 refund. This price makes it reasonable for me to return my phone, so I agree and proceed to purchase an $800 Pixel. A month goes by, and I get a $200 refund, instead of the promised $400. I contact Google and am told that their employee made a mistake in quoting me $400, and that $200 was all I was going to get. They apologized for the inconvenience and said was nothing more they were willing to do.

Now they are no longer responding to my emails. This is despite admitting it was their fault, and nor have they responded to my request for my phone back.

I found the whole episode shameful and unfair, and possibly criminal. Certainly in violation of the Consumers Legals Remedies Act, and I wanted to share my story with others, and see if perhaps others had been mistreated so. Thank you for reading this.

Advertisement

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Hey Ben5674,

Welcome to Android Forums. :)

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. If you don't mind, I'm going to reach out via Private Message to get some more information in case there's anything that can be done to help with your case.

Cheers,
    CS

Jfalls63, lunatic59 and LV426 like this.
  3. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly Newbie
    None

Sep 16, 2016
    Male
    "After about a year...." It has been my experience in dealing with customers that "about a year" can be anywhere from 10 to 36 months. What was it in your case and what was your warranty period?

4. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    Just wondered if there was an update on your situation, Ben5674? Have you taken legal advice? If the rep mislead you about the refund amount it would seem to be incumbent on Google to return your phone.

As I mentioned in other posts, my experience with Google Support was entirely different: they clearly had refurbished phones in stock so after a 30 min chat with very pleasant rep on the Friday, a refurbished 5X turned up on the Monday. I returned my non-functioning (but undamaged) 5X and the temporary charge against my credit card appears to have been removed as soon as the phone was delivered to Google.