1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Crippled like Verizon version of Galaxy Tab?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BiggestManEver, Feb 16, 2011.

1. BiggestManEver

So, I've heard many reports that the Galaxy Tab through T-Mobile is vastly superior to the Galaxy Tab through Verizon due to carrier personalization and lock-downs.

Are we going to see the same things with the Xoom? If so, I'll wait for a comparable T-Mobile device (LG's G-Slate?).

Any news about that?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Bnice

Bnice Guest

Well we will find out soon enough, I'm hoping it's all honeycomb and the carriers and manufacturer stay off it.

3. ckeegan

ckeegan Android Enthusiast

It's a "Google Experience Device", therefore the software should be completely untouched by Verizon and Motorola.

BiggestManEver likes this.
  4. gamul1

gamul1 Android Enthusiast

Untouched sounds great - but do any of us really believe Verizon will keep their hands off the thing? My money is on them polluting it. I hope not but I just don't trust them not to.

5. zdubin9

zdubin9 Member

You can count on Verizon pushing as hard as they possibly can to get their hands on it, but i think this ones untouched. New market, new product, new OS. Gotta be untouched.

6. ckeegan

ckeegan Android Enthusiast

They can't, and then call it a Google Experience Device, which they've already done.

7. Proph

Proph Android Enthusiast

uhh crippled in what way? my buddy got a tab from at&t and it was crippled (wouldn't let you load non market apps). so he took it back and went across the street and bought a tab from verizon, it is not crippled in anyway, side loading etc... all available. he said the only thing with the verizon galaxy tab was some bloat ware on it (standard crap apps you can uninstall you see on verizon android phones). but he was more than willing to have a few bloatware apps and be able to load whatever he wants (and put the tab in usb debug mode) than the at&t one that had no bloatware but he wasn't able to do all kinds of things.

8. Iceytea

Iceytea Newbie

If its anything like the OG Droid, it won't be touched by Verizon except for being the carrier. The OG Droid was also a Motorola/Google/Verizon development and it was vanilla android.

9. Raptor912

Raptor912 Android Enthusiast

I think Motorola will do more "crippling" than Verizon will. Locked bootloader for sure.

10. gigadigit

gigadigit Member

I have the Verizon Tab.
    It's crippled. Can't use bluetooth keyboards, can't use bluetooth headset as both earphone and mic, VPN doesn't work, etc...