• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CS CM7, Google Voice, & Notifications

erisuser1

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2009
Hi folks,

[ I put this post in the Eris "All Things Root" sub-forum mostly because I'm using a dev ROM - CS CM7 v21. It might well also apply to stock ROMs for all I know. ]

I recently started using Google Voice (GV) for text messages - I came close to "running over" my monthly SMS allotment from Big Red, so I thought "why not"? I gave the GV# out to folks that I text with the most.

Since that time - but I am not sure that it has anything to do with GV - my CM7 notifications involving text messages seem to be flaky. AFAIK, it involves notifications which are sent to the phone #, not the GV #.

Sometimes I get them, sometimes not. I think it involves both a lack of a notification ring tone and also lack of trackball LED blinking (which I have set up via Settings->CyanogenMod settings->Interface->LED notifications). I can't be sure that the blinking doesn't just "time out" after a while - because it's usually a couple hours later when I discover a text message that I failed to notice.

I used this ROM (CS CM7 v21) for quite a long time without GV, and I don't remember this problem coming up. When I specifically test things (sending messages between the GV and Android vanilla SMS app to/from my primary cell#/GV #), everything seems fine. But some hours or days go by, and I realize I've gotten a text without a notification.

So, I guess I'm wondering - have any of you noticed similar problems with GV and CM7 ROMs? Or is just a general problem with dropped notifications on CM7 ROMs?

Ideas and commentary welcome.

eu1

I think it's just a problem with using GV for texts in general. I use it some (craigslist stuff to keep from giving out my cell number) and notice occassionally I will get a text without a notification. I'm running a completely different ROM on a completely different phone and it happens.

Thanks for the feedback.

In the interest of narrowing this down a little - do you notice it happening for texts which are sent to the phone #, to the GV #, or both?

eu1

Upvote 0
I wonder if it is a RAM resource issue? The fact that GV is now so busy is forcing Android to make message notification temporarily inactive?

I use GV only for voice mail myself, so I'm afraid I can't offer any more than that probably incorrect speculation.

Do you have vibration notification set for incoming messages? If not, does setting that (which is a fairly obvious notification of you have your phone on your or on a nearby table) have the same issue?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback.

In the interest of narrowing this down a little - do you notice it happening for texts which are sent to the phone #, to the GV #, or both?

eu1

I just notice it on texts sent to the Google Voice #. Texts sent to my phone directly come through a different phone service all-together and into Handcent. No issues there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones