• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cupcake 1.5 update HELP!!

krnkawoo

Lurker
Aug 24, 2009
First of all, I have newly rooted my g1 and absolutely lovin' it.

right now, my g1 has rc33 and i believe i used jf.1.42...but not quite sure..
(it says kila-user 1.1 plat-rc33 126986 under builder #...don't know if it helps..)

Now that there are quite alot of apps that I cannot download without the cupcake 1.5 update, I was trying to download the cupcake1.5

I changed the name to 'update.zip' then powered off my g1 then pressed home+power keys to go to recovery mode, but it keep goes to bootloader screen instead (three android with skateboards...)

I tried green+power+menu buttons to reboot several times, but no luck.
I even tried opening up the terminal and the command 'reboot recovery'
I am not sure what's wrong with my g1....
frown.gif

but if i just boot up normally, there is no problem at all and works fine.
it just won't let me go to recovery mode.

So here are my questions...

1. is there way to go to recovery screen from bootloader screen?
2. is there way to perform manual cupcake1.5 update from bootloader screen?
3. or...if i wait, will i get the OTA cupcake1.5 update? (read somewhere saying..it's disabled if it's rooted?...not sure...)

and lastly...

4. why won't my g1 let me boot to recovery mode?

Really really thank you in advance.
redface.gif

First of all, I have newly rooted my g1 and absolutely lovin' it.

right now, my g1 has rc33 and i believe i used jf.1.42...but not quite sure..
(it says kila-user 1.1 plat-rc33 126986 under builder #...don't know if it helps..)

Now that there are quite alot of apps that I cannot download without the cupcake 1.5 update, I was trying to download the cupcake1.5

I changed the name to 'update.zip' then powered off my g1 then pressed home+power keys to go to recovery mode, but it keep goes to bootloader screen instead (three android with skateboards...)

I tried green+power+menu buttons to reboot several times, but no luck.
I even tried opening up the terminal and the command 'reboot recovery'
I am not sure what's wrong with my g1....
frown.gif

but if i just boot up normally, there is no problem at all and works fine.
it just won't let me go to recovery mode.

So here are my questions...

1. is there way to go to recovery screen from bootloader screen?
2. is there way to perform manual cupcake1.5 update from bootloader screen?
3. or...if i wait, will i get the OTA cupcake1.5 update? (read somewhere saying..it's disabled if it's rooted?...not sure...)

and lastly...

4. why won't my g1 let me boot to recovery mode?

Really really thank you in advance.
redface.gif

If i understand what you are saying ...

You cannot, now that you are rooted just use the OTA ROM for 1.5 on your phone ...

You need to opt for another build compatible with your rooting setup so far.

I would recommend downloading the JF Updater app and installing the lastest ROM offered ...

You may have to wipe the phone and then try again if it doesnt work ...

Good Luck .. and Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0
hey thanks for the great tip. I didnt know about JF updater.
so yes, i downloaded JF updater and it found jf cupcake 1.5 for me to download. then i verified and applied, but when it rebooted, it went straight to bootloader screen (3 androids skating...) again instead of recovery mode.

...should i wipe it out and do it again from the start? but..i dont have data plan anymore...so i won't be enable to register...don't know what to do....:(:thinking::(

Upvote 0
hey thanks for the great tip. I didnt know about JF updater.
so yes, i downloaded JF updater and it found jf cupcake 1.5 for me to download. then i verified and applied, but when it rebooted, it went straight to bootloader screen (3 androids skating...) again instead of recovery mode.

...should i wipe it out and do it again from the start? but..i dont have data plan anymore...so i won't be enable to register...don't know what to do....:(:thinking::(

Yes if you wipe the phone you will have to register again.... so sounds like you are stuck...

So I assume you only used data long enough to register the phone and then canceled it ...?

Upvote 0
that is correct. i have wifi pretty much everywhere around me so didnt really need 3G data plan. so am i stuck with 1.1 firmware forever?:(

there is nothing really wrong with 1.1 but just that I can't find chompSMS or handcentSMS for it...cuz when im driving...touch keyboard actually would help... is there anyway to get them installed without 1.5 cupcake update?

Upvote 0
that is correct. i have wifi pretty much everywhere around me so didnt really need 3G data plan. so am i stuck with 1.1 firmware forever?:(

there is nothing really wrong with 1.1 but just that I can't find chompSMS or handcentSMS for it...cuz when im driving...touch keyboard actually would help... is there anyway to get them installed without 1.5 cupcake update?

Here is a link to the OTA 1.5 build ...

http://getyourdroidon.com/root/signed-kila-ota-148830.de6a94ca.zip

But I think you would have to unroot to install it. As this is the Stock Legit 1.5 Build (NOT Rooted 1.5)

However, i am still confused why you have problems trying to install other builds ... unless you have an outdated or damaged recovery loader ....

this is very confusing from your previous postings
"... it went straight to bootloader screen (3 androids skating...) again instead of recovery mode."

Try the following:
Power Off then while holding the "HOME" key touch the Power ... Continue holding the "HOME" key until you get the recovery menu ....

Tell us what version you are using .... (the latest and Best is Cyanogen 1.4 +JF)

Upvote 0
Thanks again for ur answers justjimjpc.

When I finished downloading jf 1.51 by using jf updater, it asked me if i wanna verify and update. so i clicked yes and it said something like, 'G1 now will reboot so it can go into recovery mode'.

G1 turned off then rebooted, went straight to bootloader screen. I also have tried "Home+power" multiple times with no luck. it just keep goes to bootloader screen. (like if i were pressing "Power+Camera"...)

Maybe you are right about me having a bad or outdated recovery loader. In that case, is there way to fix that?

i wish i can tell you what version that i am using but I downloaded bunch files when i was 'rooting' my G1 so I am not really sure... please tell me how to check the version then i will dig it out.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones