• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

cupcake tomorrow?

Loomis2

Nov 23, 2008
I realize that the app store comments is one of the worst places for reliable information, but yesterday I was looking over some comments and someone posted that some internal memo was leaked that stated Sunday, January 11 as the day of the Cupcake OTA update.

Again, keep in mind where I read this, but I felt it was at least worth a mention. I guess we'll all find out soon!

It's been on a few of the Technology blog sites as well. Seems a bit early but you know what recycle reporting is like. they all watch each other and as one mentions one thing the others follow. would be nice but hmmm to early.

And I still think we may only get the cup and not the full cake but please prove me wrong.

Upvote 0
yeah, I've seen some posts saying it would be out tomorrow. My gut says it's not gonna happen. As for just getting some of cupcake, I just don't believe it. Google, htc, and tmobile all want the the g1 to be a success.
However, I do think it's very likely that all of the features and benefits of cupcake will not come in one single ota update. If it does play out that tmobile stands in the way of a good thing (although highly unlike) I'll get it from xda but one way or another I'm getting cupcake!

Upvote 0
My gut says it's not gonna happen. As for just getting some of cupcake, I just don't believe it. Google, htc, and tmobile all want the the g1 to be a success.

Yes they do but also there are mitigating factors, again these are just my thoughts not based on "in the know knowledge" just me thinking about it.

It has already been said that HTC used propriety stuff of their own to make the G1 work with Android and even though they are now on the master branch they are not standard Andorid.

HTC have also stated that they have no control over Android and can't actually say whether Android/T Mobile will release cupcake for it. even though our guess is that they will so that we can beta test it like the rest.

Some big manufacturers have since signed up for the Alliance, now if they are planning to release handset around Q2 then surely they will want all the best features for the newer handsets and not see it all on the older original, I mean what makes people want to upgrade or change when they see better features right? but why upgrade if you can get it on your existing handset? there will be a certain amount of pressure to "hold Back" some stuff to help bring on board these so called manufacturers, also T Mobile may just be touting for exclusives with the newer manufacturers and be seen as the "Android Network of Choice" nothing pulls in the punters more by having an exclusive, just look at the iphone. Now T Mobile would want people to go for the newer and not stick with the older. It's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Also I know that they will probably sense check and tighten up the code as much as possible but people already moan about not having enough memory on the G1. Now I still haven't seen it written that the G1 will get storage for applications to the SD, so any updates may take up more room. Now this doesn't necessarily mean massive amounts but if we don't get application storage to the SD then they will have to work out just what they can add.

Is the hardware upto all of the potential new features?

I just don't know so thats why I reiterate that it's just my musings really and not a statement of fact and I am happy to be proven (and hope to be proven) wrong.

I agree with the comments that I don't thing it will be an all encompasing update and may just be rolled out in smaller chunks (again so we can beta test it for future handsets) especially if what is linked on this post LINK is true.

Mark Murphy has echoed my concerns about this update in regards to video recording being included, as from what we understand there are still kinks to work out in the Android CupCake path especially for it to work on the G1, BUT it is what was listed as a feature in the upcoming update according to the internal T-Mobile memo leaked

1. Mark Murphy, January 6, 2009:

Upvote 0
Way back when I bought my htc mda, it had windows mobile 5 on it. I updated it to a winmo 6 rom provided by tmobile. I think the that a large part of the draw to a new device would be form factor and better hardware (e.g. 5 mega pixel camera).
When you think about it, do you think that google would hand out the g1 to all of their employee's and designate it their dev phone if it wasn't capable or destined to run the cupcake sdk?
If this update was coming a year or more after the g1 was released I think I might be a little more concerned. I've read post where people have been told by in-store reps that this update is coming and that the phone will have video recording. If tmobile /htc did not make this update happen they are going to have over a million really pissed of customers and I don't think any of the "big three" want that at this stage of the game.
Same as you, I have no inside information. These are just my thoughts and reasoning and ... hope.

Upvote 0
It's called "Managing Expectations". They're not going to give a date until they are sure they can stand by it. It has nothing to do with being sneaky, or underhanded, or weird. As my teacher in HS told me "science isn't an exact science".

I don't think they can really give a date honestly it was leaked we would have it by the 15th doubt it.... if this is going to be OTA as it is supposed to be than it will roll out progressively over the next few months in smaller portions because it would be to large to do OTA in one shot and it is impossible to give a start or completion date on something like that....

Upvote 0
I believe it just starts updating. There are no yes/no questions or anything, you'll just look down at your phone one day and it will say it is updating. Just hope it's not during an emergency!

Hope you have a full charge ... I dont remember if RC30 allowed you to pospone install to a later time ... ??? anyone else remember ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones