1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Curious about a few things

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zuben el genub, Jan 23, 2013.

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I have a Nexus S right now - rooted, still running CM9.1

There's a bit of stuff in the 4 and the new JB that I don't want. (from reading)
    Can the phone be rooted and take an earlier ROM?

My big problem with the S - it takes Audubon Birds and a few other apps forever to open. They all have large databases. All of the files are on the phone! I want a faster processor.

There is NOTHING else running - except the normal background apps.
    No social media searching - Wifi off unless home. Usually in range of a cell tower. Turn GPS off, too.

I don't want social, location. shopping, you name it. I want speed for my chosen apps.

I can put CM10 on the S - I see the stable version is there, but do I want it?
    Would it help to test on how the 4 would work?

Advertisement

2. OhSeven

OhSeven Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    It might help to know what you don't want

3. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I don't need maps, Now, +, Gmail app (I use Aquamail) Location, Apps that tell me where to shop, ads (I've bought most of my apps), Movies, games, entertainment in general. Any music app has to play MID. I use those for ringtones. Easier to check on in music app rather than the sound app.
    I don't stream music - I've got my music on a USB stick in the truck. I prefer to get almost any download on the computer and transfer. I don't play music while walking. I will use the phone for any flower or bird ID, or the phone camera if I don't have my Canon SX30 with me.

I use GPS only for astronomy -
    I have about 4 of the major astronomy apps, Moon app, Audubon Birds, Trees, Flowers, a local Wildflower app, one for weeds. Weather apps. Cloud identifiers. Ibird pro. Will be adding Geology apps as available.

A good reader - I like geological road logs. A lot of the NP use HTML, but Boat Browser can save page as a PDF. So far, FB Reader has been good. This also needs storage space. I have to save some scans as PDF as the only info so far is in a rather outdated book.

Most of the apps have to be self contained. I'm with TMO, and there are some places where you can't get service. Until recently, we couldn't get service in Arches NP where we go to observe with the telescope. Any program that needed an internet connection would not work. Some places on the road to Canyonlands - no service.

I do have data, but mostly use it for reference.

Most of the DB for these apps are large - over 10,000 files for one. It takes time to update over wifi.

Since I also have a tablet - I prefer to play videos on it rather than the phone. I take that on trips - but it is wifi only, so if I need anything else, have to use the phone and network. (If available)

I've used up over 10G on the phone with all this, so I need the 16G phone.

I asked about downgrading a rooted phone if some of the apps don't work.

4. OhSeven

OhSeven Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    I didn't see anything that would require downgrading the rom. Google now is optional and can be disabled. The other apps you mentioned just don't need to be used, and in the unlikely case you can't stand to have them, you can probably uninstall/freeze with Titanium Backup. Most custom roms can't be distributed with the google apps, so you can find one with minor changes and just install the apps you want (eg Play store). Keep it simple!

5. Banished Angel

Banished Angel Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    IN, USA
    Running an old ROM defeats the purpose of buying a Nexus device. Android 4.1 and 4.2 brought Google Now, which as mentioned can be disabled, but also Project Butter, which greatly increased the speed of Android. There's no need to use legacy software with this phone. Just install the apps you want and disable or uninstall the ones you don't.

6. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I had an app on a tablet that had trouble with ICS on upgrade. The dev did get it right, but the app was funky until then. It was a paid app, and I happened to like it.
    You see stuff you liked that is not available for newer devices. Some apps are now abandonware.

The apps I have paid for need to run. They are why I have the phone. All the ones I've mentioned are pay for.

Maybe Android needs a "run as"

There was an update to one app recently - it didn't improve the function I'm using the app for.
    When Android OS gets upgraded, so do apps, and the "improvement" to some of the app functions are not what you want. There were a lot of complaints on Play about the update.

I'll probably order the 4 next month.

7. desarenezitic

desarenezitic Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 3, 2012
    Male
    Root, back up with Titanium Backup and keep the version you like/runs best and not upgrade? Or restore from Titanium if the update is 'funky'.

8. realizm

realizm Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Is there something in the Kool-Aid in this forum? Because for a moment I swore somebody was on the fence about getting a Nexus 4.....

Lay off the drugs.

Yea I like true pull down toggles...anyway I can get Eclair on my Nexus 4?

Tags: