• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Curious, next high-end Android???

odindra

Oct 4, 2010
Earth
With a couple of new high-end phones coming to ATT shortly I'm just looking for your guys opinions on if you're going to jump ship to a new phone or keep the Captivate?

Not that your opinions will decide what I'll do but rather, hopefully provide some hindsight that I may have overlooked or missed.

Thanks for any helpful input. ;)

Here is a short comparison chart on I found courtesy of phonearena
HTC Inspire 4G vs Samsung Infuse 4G vs Motorola ATRIX 4G: specs comparison - Phone Arena

Yeah, I might go for the Atrix since it's not just an upgrade in stats, it can do some magic, too. I honestly want to see Nokia come out with an Android phone or something, since they do make good phones that are awesome in all aspects. Most of the features that the iPhone brought out were in Nokia phones years before they came out for the iPhone which really irked me a bit as Apple was making it look like they were making innovative and new technology. The software's perfected for Android, they just need to make some hardware magic happen now...

Upvote 0
Many have written that they would not entertain purchasing another Samsung because of their lack of support. I completely understand that point of view as I was solidly in that camp. On the other hand, if a user has decided to plunge into the custom ROM arena with all of the benefits derived therein, combined with the great support of the ROM devs and rapid fixes for identified problems, disdain for Samsung becomes an afterthought.

Upvote 0
Out of the 3 the one I like the most is the Atrix and if I could I would get it. HTC I read can be pretty bad about battery life and although I'm a SAHM I don't like to have to plug my phone in during the day. As far as the Samsung goes, I am a bit dissatisfied. I really thought that samsung would have done better with the galaxy s phones. Also not entirely sure about the screen size might too big for my taste.

Upvote 0
Well, I guess price point is also a leading factor other than brand. So far, Moto Atrix lists for 149.99 vs 99.00 for the HTC Inspire. I presume that BOTH of these prices are with 2 year contracts. I know that the Inspire is according to phone arena. I haven't read anything priced for the Samsung Infuse yet but I would expect it to be somewhere in the 199-299 price range with a 2 year contract.

For 50 bucks more I think I find the Moto Atrix more appealing and versatile. I just never had a Moto phone with Android. I've owned Moto phones back in the day when flip phones were somewhat cool. :D

I've never owned a HTC phone ever. Completely new territory there.

I'll probably still see what the Samsung one has to offer but based on the Captivate it's so far at the bottom of the list.

Upvote 0
and its not samoled

This cannot be overstated. Unless you've experienced SAMOLED first-hand, you can't appreciate just how much better it is than LCD. All those online videos trying to show the difference infuriate me... how can a video shown on an LCD monitor show how SAMOLED is better than LCD?

Going to an LCD screen on my phone would be a huge downgrade. I'm not sure how/if I could handle that. You're not always using GPS, but no matter what you're doing with your phone, you're using the screen. SAMOLED is stunningly amazing. I can barely stand to look at my computer monitor, which seems dull and washed-out now.

I hate that Samsung basically hoards all the screens to themselves. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to upgrade there'll be some high-end ETC phone with SAMOLED on AT&T.

Upvote 0
I am going to stay with my Captivate for a while too. I am tempted by the Atrix, but I think I will wait to see what HTC will have to offer later.

Without a doubt, this will be the LAST Samsung device i will ever own.
I think Samsung rushed it to market and adopted a "too bad, so sad" attitude towards it's cutomers after the sale.. Not a good way to do business.

Everyone potential Samsung customer I know will know how I feel.
You know what they say...a happy customer tells 10 people. An unhappy customer tells 100 people. I guess Samsung doesn't understand that.

Upvote 0
Just curious to those who have said that they are sticking with their Captivate over the new "high-end" Android phones coming shortly to ATT, why stick with a phone that you may dislike so far, not to say that some actually might like it ;) , opposed to these new, exciting, revolutionizing, state of the art, ground breaking phones soon to be released?

Not trying to stir any confrontation but looking for your sincere opinions on why deciding to keep the Cappy vs these other phones. I've never owned a HTC phone and a Moto phone on the Anroid platform, so I'm trying to see what your experiences and knowledge may tell. :)

Upvote 0
Just curious to those who have said that they are sticking with their Captivate over the new "high-end" Android phones coming shortly to ATT, why stick with a phone that you may dislike so far, not to say that some actually might like it ;) , opposed to these new, exciting, revolutionizing, state of the art, ground breaking phones soon to be released?

Because it'll be a long time before I'm eligible for on-contract pricing. But hey, if you're rolling in money and want to buy me a new phone off-contract, feel free. ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah I was on the hype ship a few weeks ago but I've calmed down and returned to earth. I'll stick it out also.

I too have calmed down and returned to earth. Just going to hang on to the Captivate.

Not trying to stir any confrontation but looking for your sincere opinions on why deciding to keep the Cappy vs these other phones. I've never owned a HTC phone and a Moto phone on the Anroid platform, so I'm trying to see what your experiences and knowledge may tell. :)

Moto and AT&T kinda killed the love I was feeling for the Atrix. HTC I just really wasn't interested in and of course I won't be purchasing another Samsung until they can upgrade the captivates. I don't dislike my captivate I'm just getting a bit impatient with samsung.

Upvote 0
Sremick if I was rolling in the dough you would be the first that I would offer a new phone (of your choice of course) to cuz...you're just that damn good....at helping on this forum ;)

I guess I should've prefaced this in my OP but yes my contract with ATT officially ends beginning of March so I'm wondering if I should stay on ship with ATT or perhaps go with Sprint b/c my gf's contract with them is up currently and she was also looking at getting a new phone. Just looking at options, nothing final yet. Was hoping to get some opinions, insight from people before making any final decisions. :rolleyes:

Because it'll be a long time before I'm eligible for on-contract pricing. But hey, if you're rolling in money and want to buy me a new phone off-contract, feel free. ;)

Upvote 0
im a little torn, i just got the captivate, and the inspire willcome out within my 30 days. i really love the screen on this phone and the amount of storage it came with at a 50 dollar price tag. there are only two reasons i thinking of to switch, bigger screen and newer version of android......but i can do the unnoficial thing and root, so that almost removes the OS consideration for me.

Upvote 0
With a couple of new high-end phones coming to ATT shortly I'm just looking for your guys opinions on if you're going to jump ship to a new phone or keep the Captivate?

Not that your opinions will decide what I'll do but rather, hopefully provide some hindsight that I may have overlooked or missed.

Thanks for any helpful input. ;)

Here is a short comparison chart on I found courtesy of phonearena
HTC Inspire 4G vs Samsung Infuse 4G vs Motorola ATRIX 4G: specs comparison - Phone Arena

I think I'll be getting the Inspire. The amount of ram (768mb) and Sense are the main reasons. The Atrix is obviously the superior of anything that will be coming out, but the release date is a little further out than I'd like (and the Inspire will be released this weekend). I am a little concerned about the Inspire's battery, but some are saying it won't be a problem. Hopefully, I can find an extended battery that is the same size.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones