1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Current impact to unlocked bootloader?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by crackface, Aug 10, 2012.

1. crackface

crackface Member

Its my (perhaps incorrect) understanding that having a locked bootloader is preventing some certain aspects of ROM development. Like for the example the CM builds, and the lack of camera fully functioning and other bugs. Is this accurate? If so is there A) any hopes of an unlocked boot loader, or B) does it not really matter and is it possible that current mods will be able to work around 99.9% of the locked bootloader? I'm using Eclipse port 3.0 and seems to be fine, but would love to move to ICS....just seems whatever out there is buggy.

I've had this phone for a year now, and hoped by now we'd be wide open. Do people think this will be opened up?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

The unlocked bootloader prevents rooters from doing specific things which would be useful - repartitioning the various storage partitions, such as /sys, /cache, etc.; it prevents loading anything but cryptographically signed Linux kernels, which would be necessary for Android upgrades.

However, very smart people have discovered a way to load kernel modules after the stock kernel boots and are working hard to allow fully-functioning builds of ICS and Jelly Bean upgrades. You can read a little about it here: How to Eat a Hat (Droid 3 developments) …

Motorola Droid 3 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews