1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Current location Hyderabad?!?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RBEmerson, Jul 4, 2011.

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Sigh... in a sense this is silly, and in a sense it's scary. My DINC2 now reports the current location as Hyderabad. I can't recall being there any time recently. Come to think of it, I've never been there! Ever!

Not only that but my appointments shift to Calcutta time when I look at them. Having Hyderabad as the current location is messing things up big time.

WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?!?

- - -

Update: I removed the widget from the home page and re-installed it. Back to Hyderabad. :mad:

Advertisement

2. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    I pulled the battery, let the DINC2 sit brainless for a few minutes, and... bye-bye Hyderabad!

Weird...:thinking:

3. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Helloooooo, Hyderabad and Kolkata. Again...

I called VZW and was taken through taking the phone of automatic time updates, setting the phone manually to the right time zone and local date and time, and then powering down the DINC2 (no battery pull). Power up, reset the time to automatic mode and, so far, bye-bye India.

4. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Sigh... even with automatic time update disabled, the phone went back to Hyderabad or Kolkata. So I did a full factory reset. Now I'm stuck with the current city, for the world clock, being Detroit - which I've seen since day one. Feh! :mad:

5. jkmasi

jkmasi Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 24, 2010
    My world clock says America/Detroit too. No idea why, so I just don't look at it. The location on my Beautiful Widgets clock/weather widget is correct.

One time I had a problem with my location being in another country. I'll have to search back in this forum for the solution.

Actually now that I look back I realized that it wasn't that my phone thought it was in another country, it just thought that its carrier was Vodafone, rather than Verizon. Something to do with the global SIM card...

6. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Vodafone is Verizon's partner in at least Europe (don't know about Middle East, etc.), so, if your DINC2 thought you were talking to Vodafone, seeing a report you were somewhere in Europe might make sense. Sorta.

In my case, Hyderabad and Kolkata (AKA Calcutta) came out of nowhere and I continued to be tied to VZW. The factory reset seems to have ended that nonsense (at least for now the clock / weather widget shows the right place). OTOH,"Current" still reads Detroit. Feh!

The big question is are you anywhere in the EST/EDT time zone (Detroit also keeps EST/EDT) or are you in another time zone?

One of the problems with having the DINC2 shift to India Standard Time (GMT + 5:30 v. GMT - 5/4) is it moved all of my calendar entries' dates and times to IST. And that was not good news.

Right now, and for the next few months, I'll be somewhere in the EST/EDT time zone, but later this fall or this winter I'll be in Germany. If the DINC2 keeps the calendar in Detroit (EST/EDT), life will not be quite so much fun.

So, where are you right now - in EDT-land or...?

7. Lespaul20

Lespaul20 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    Do you have any of the location services enable?

8. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Yes - all of them are on.

I just drove about 60 miles upstate and I saw the correct location for the weather at my destination (Bath, PA) in the weather/time widget. Let's see what I get now that I'm back home.

Hmmm... this is weird. Detroit is now gone from the World Clock.

We'll see if it stays away. :thinking:

9. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Eleven hours later, there's still no sign of Detroit or Hyderabad. The Factory Reset seems to have cleared the Hyderabad issue and travel and a reset (not power off / power on but reset) seems to have made Detroit go away.

As the guy was heard to say at each floor, after he jumped off the Empire State Building, "so far, so good." :D

10. jkmasi

None

Jan 24, 2010
    I am in EST/EDT here in Virginia, so I guess Detroit works for me. My clock/weather widget shows my actual location, it's just the world clock that shows Detroit.

11. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    I'm happy to report I'm still not in Detroit. :D

After seeing the DINC2 think I was in Hyderabad, the wheels really fell off, particularly with my calendar shifting things to India Standard Time or changing the times to 10:30 ahead of EST. The question about seeing Detroit is what happens if you take your phone to somewhere in CST, MST, or PST. Does the phone adapt or stay in EST?

12. jkmasi

None

Jan 24, 2010
    Well, I'll find out in September. I'm traveling to the west coast, so that will be a good test. I don't want to do a factory reset right now... GB is coming, and I'll probably do one after the OTA.

13. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    Sigh... I've gone back to Detroit. :mad:

14. robertj298

robertj298 Member

Jul 12, 2011
    My clock widget keeps telling me I'm in a city 100 miles away. When I bring up google maps it shows I'm in this city for a minute or so until the gps locks in then it shows where I'm actually at and the clock widget changes to my correct location but this only lasts for a few minutes then it switches back to the wrong location...crazy

15. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    It seems as though anything I did to clear the problem didn't fix it permanently. That is, the world clock app kept listing Detroit for current location. The Hyderabad and Kolkata "trips" remain a thing of the past - the most I can say is both VZW and HTC say this data comes from AccuWeather (who also feeds the weather apps), so the guess is AccuWeather had a massive brain burp. All of this happened under Froyo.

I updated to Gingerbread (OTA from VZW) and there was Detroit again. Caramba!!! Except this time around I cranked in my own home town (Phila., PA) and made Detroit go away. Now, will Detroit still be gone tomorrow? Who knows? But it went away much faster after setting up Gingerbread. Soooo... "time to do the update", says I.

YMMV, of course. :D

am_beagle likes this.
  16. theacousticprophet

theacousticprophet Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 22, 2010
    VZW seems to be the target for all of our knee-jerk reactions to problems with out DInc2's. Given that HTC is our beloved's manufacturer, would they not be just as ample (if not more) a target for questioning as Verizon?

I'm not saying anything for HTC customer service, as I have not had to deal with them. They (HTC) just seem like a party that is questioned less often than the service provider (VZW).

I'm not sure if the following story is relate-able to this situation, but I'll share it anyhow...

I was trying to find out the maximum read/write speed of the DInc2, so I could know what speed class of micro SD card to buy ( *for example* why buy a class 10 when your device can only use up to class 4 effectively?). The VZW guys were ...*gasp*... completely unprepared to answer a question of such technical nature. The salesman told me: "You should ask HTC about that." to which I thought: "you know... this idiot is right... this is a question for the hardware manufacturer, not the service provider."

I dunno. Just my $0.02.

17. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    FWIW, I talked with HTC about this issue (Hyderabad/Kolkata, Detroit showing up while nowhere near any of the above). Their answer was to say AccuWeather is to blame for the problem. I dunno if that's fingerpointing or how it is. At any rate, with GB in my DINC2, the problem is still not present. As of this writing, anyway...

Back to the guy who jumped off the Empire State Building: "so far, so good".

18. 70363c1413

70363c1413 Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    This has always bugged me as well. The Detroit location hasn't returned since the GB upgrade, but when at home my current location comes up as a city 45 miles away.
    Turns out that my problem is that I'm using a VZ network extender, and that must plug me directly into the Canton, OH data center.
    I wouldn't mind, but I can't pick another location from the "Add City" list that is any closer.
    It's kind of like one of those fuzzy clocks. I'll just have to get over having my current location as
    Somewhere in North Eastern Ohio.

19. jkmasi

None

Jan 24, 2010
    My current city is finally my real current city. It's no longer Detroit! Perhpas the OTA fixed my problem, or accuweather got it right.

20. Saynt_J

Saynt_J Member
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    pays me money to do that things you don't want to
    New York
    [​IMG]
    Hyderabad....... VERY NICE!!!

21. gk40

gk40 Newbie
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    my phone just last night lost its location pittsburgh cant get the weather to update and cant add another city just says detroit when i first got the phone they had london and nyc on there when i try to add pittsburgh via typing or voice it shows up in the box but no way to set it updated to GB pulled the battery anything else other than a full reset

22. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    London and New York are default entries. I wouldn't sweat them.

If you're in Pittsburgh and can't see info about PGH at all, then I suspect something's broken with the feed from AccuWeather. FWIW, I just checked my DINC2 and it's still Detroit-free. So far, so good...

Try this to clear things up:
    From the main home page, hit the Menu button, tap Settings, scroll to Location and tap that. E911 should be checked buy shaded or dimmed. Check VZW Location, Standalone GPS, and Google Location Services. (yes, this does pose some risk of data capture about your location, but if you want the local weather, "ya gotta pay to play" - sux but there it is) Go back to the main home page. Do a long touch on the time/weather widget and drag it to Remove, which will show up in the lower right corner of the screen. Do a reset (hold down the power button to get the Power Options menu, tap Reset and tap Reset in the "really reset?" dialog).

When the DINC2 powers back up and gives you the main home screen, tap on Personalize (the paint palette icon in the lower right corner). Tap Widget and scroll down to Clock. Tap that and choose the weather/flip clock. Ignore that it says London on the clock. Tap Select. You'll get "Select a city", which should show a bar marked "Current location". Tap "Current location" and you'll see "Weather options". "Show full screen animation" will be checked. Tap "Done" at the bottom of the screen. You should now come back to the main home screen, with the clock in place, showing your current location's weather and time. Tap on the time, and you should see "World Clock" showing your current location's name and date, and the local time in a box to the right of the name.

Let me know how this all works out.

23. gk40

gk40 Newbie
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    thanks RBE did all that widget came back up with no city info went into account sync synced up the weather widget and the city weather amazingly popped up if i tap the weather part of the widget i USED to get the 5 day forecast thats gone still cant put in another city to check their weather crazy that now you have to use TWO apps this and Wbug to get the same info one provided im pretty sure this widget worked for a while after GB update

24. RBEmerson

None

Jun 12, 2011
    Retired!
    SE PA
    :thinking: I just tapped the weather on the flip clock and got the 5-day forecast for my location.

Account & Sync won't do the job for you.

Remove the widget as described above. Go to Locations and uncheck VZW, Standalone, and Google services. Do a Reset (not Power Off). Go to Settings and Location, check all three services. Install the clock/weather widget and use only current location (which may be blank at the start). If you have a decent cell connection (or you can use WiFi or Internet Pass-through), the clock should change to your current location in a few minutes.

FWIW, my DINC2 reports my location as any of about three or four different towns in a five mile radius from my "true" location. I write this off as cell tower issues and nothing more. Being reported as being in Hyderabad, Kolkata, or Detroit (all seen here)... that's different.