• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Current Project

pbf98

Android Expert
Oct 16, 2011
MN
Just to get some more conversations going..

Whether its at home or at work (if allowed to say) what are you currently working on?

I'll Start off

At home (well at a friends home) I am setting up our band room, acoustically treating the room, and then setting all the equipment up for practice.

At work, I am doing my most hated task.. Business cards. I am a .Net Developer and I am using an aspx page that was created 6 years ago to program the different combinations that can occur on each business card. Each card is different based on what the customer wants for instance the 8 cards I am doing right now each have 480 different combinations that I have to setup for. The first one of these took me 3 weeks to complete. It's not hard, but it is just repetitive which grows old. It is a lot of clicking and copy /paste.

I found a way around doing all 8, and I will only have to do 2 on the page haha and will save about 3 months of time by using SQL Server import and export since 7 of the 8 have the same combinations and fields. But the 8th one has over 1000 different combinations and has 34 fields for users to enter in. So that one may take a month to set up properly

Then Its back to coding! Which I really enjoy doing, I already have 3 projects lined up waiting for me to get to them.

So what are you guys and gals up to?

A very large project for a well-known technology company. I'll be working with 100 assorted manufacturing documents written by engineers and I will be translating them to something the average worker on the production can understand.

I am working on finding a new place to live and increasing my bottom line. I am actively seeking an Indian Chief.

Goal: an obscene income and lots of new toys I do not really need.

Upvote 0
I just finish putting the final touches on an old Compaq Presario 5140 computer for an old friend of mine. I know this is a very old computer but he doesn't know jack about computers. It is something I had laying around and wanting to get rid of anyway.

He asked me if I had something he could use to teach his self typing and getting familar with computers. I've been working on it since December and having a hellava time getting the sound working. I don't think I will be able to get it working.

The OS of choice is Debian Stable with LXDE desktop environment. I must say that it does boot up pretty fast and for this machine, seems like a good choice going with Debian. I also did a net-install, which means installing the very minimum software and adding only what it needs. It will be able to get on the internet, but he may not get it until later. I added a typing tutor and some simple games, such as Chess & Solitary types. I'll probably delivery it this coming weekend.

Upvote 0
Besides job hunting, I'm learning javascript/jquery. I've been building little websites to try things out on. It's pretty fun. Made this cool site where the different 'pages' are all on the main page, just hidden. The jquery hides and shows them based on clicks. Nothing too advanced, but still neat.

$0 expected from this :/

Upvote 0
If you're into developing websites I got something that you should look into a little. I read it in this months MSDN magazine. You may know a little about search engine optimization, but it is being said that social optimization is more key with todays websites. They say it is more relevant and more rewarding

Then they go on describing how to add the officail like button (not just a link to your facebook page) to your website, and tells what will be in future articles, such as setting up comment boxes on your site to allow people who have facebook to post as themselves with out having to register.

I know there are some people here who want nothing to do with fb and other social mediums but like it or not they are here and quite popular at the moment, so when a website makes it easy to socially optimize your sites like facebook does, try it out.

Heres a link to facebook developers where you can learn to "enhance" your site using fb

Core Concepts - Facebook Developers

look at the social plugins, they are real easy to use, and easily identifiable by many users.

Upvote 0
I'm recovering from 3 or 4 chronic illnesses. (My MDs don't seem to have any interest in looking at connections between them.) To keep from getting cabin fever I've been teaching myself digital media protocols, and have been experimenting various audio and video production and distribution systems. So far I've built a proof of concept for an Internet radio that works like a regular radio, but using Wi-Fi and/or cellular data in place of terrestrial broadcasting. I'm interested in finding a partner to work on the math to define a holographic recording console that would take close-miked instrument tracks and map them into 3-D space to produce the ambiance of live binaural/stereo miking, but with all the flexibility of multitrack/multi-take recording.

On the video end I'm looking for ways to get HD quality real-time video out of any public building, using the existing infrastructure. If Internet broadcasters are going to compete with terrestrial broadcasters, they're going to need their own version of the ENG truck, but with a price and form factor that works for a variety of budgets and staffing levels. Over the summer I bought a modest ENG-style video camera and related equipment, and got to cover some campaign stuff to test that part out. Still too weak to do that part!

I spent some time working with a group that had ambitious plans to build a "people's Internet" using mesh technology, but unfortunately the principals were too young and inexperienced to get anything done. I still like the idea, maybe of an ad-hoc wireless data net that could be the civilian equivalent to the P25 network that our tax dollars are buying for our governments.

I just got done building a set of RAID arrays to hold all of my movies and TV shows. I'd love to have a proper video workstation, but that's gotta wait. I have a growing backlog of MPEG2 videos that need editing and transcoding.

Next week I'm going down to work on my mother's end-of life stuff that she hasn't planned out yet. Looks like I'll never escape being a businessman!

Upvote 0
I sound positively boring compared to you guys. Well, aside from raising my 3 kids and taking care of my mom, we just finished redoing the downstairs, so I am organizing and moving things around. For work, I am a transcriptionist, so I have something different every day, but I am always typing something

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones