• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Current Verizon Customer...What Options Will I Have For The Droid?

Was this response to me? If so, I realize that, but I do need to renew my contract to get the discounted $199 price on the phone, since my upgrade availability isn't until February. I'm hoping that they'll decide that since I'm actually wanting to upgrade my plan to include the more expensive data that they'll be lenient with me on allowing me to have the discounted phone price and extending my contract.

My contract isn't up until next Sept.

Good luck with that.

Upvote 0
so i called verizon up. spoke with 2 people in total. first person was a complete idiot and didnt know shit. second person was extremely smart and helpful.

im eligable for a NE2 upgrade in 08/2010 but can possibly get an annual upgrade in december. I ugraded from my env to my blackberry last december so i should be good to go and she confirms this. Only thing is she said that it doesnt reflect it yet in the system but might change towards the end of november.

so either i wait til mid december, or add another line and swap the droid to my line and find somebody who needs a cell. or wait til 08/2010. if i wait til 2010 i get a $100 credit discount so it would make the droid come to $299 - $100 rebate - $100 credit = $99. basically going to cost me an extra $100 if i want to upgrade this december.

Oh and im also considered a "VIP member", which according to her you need to have been with verizon for 5+ years, and never had late or missed payments". So i would end up getting another $50 off. its still $100 less if i wait til august, but then it will be $49 to upgrade as opposed to $150 if i do it in december

Upvote 0
Was this response to me? If so, I realize that, but I do need to renew my contract to get the discounted $199 price on the phone, since my upgrade availability isn't until February. I'm hoping that they'll decide that since I'm actually wanting to upgrade my plan to include the more expensive data that they'll be lenient with me on allowing me to have the discounted phone price and extending my contract.

You can cancel and start again. You just would not be able to keep your same number. Also, you could upgrade to a Family plan (starts at 69.99 for both lines) add the $30 data feature and cancel your old line when the contract is up on it.

Upvote 0
I was happy to find out today that I can use another of the lines on my account that currently has an upgrade (mine won't be available until December 8th)...

The guy at the VZ store told me I can just get the phone (in addition to the $29 data plan) for the line that is not mine, then they will immediately switch it (and the data plan) over to my phone number...

Now if my car would shop screwing up and I don't have to spend the $200 on it, I will be getting a Droid on the 6th...

Upvote 0
I have been talking to the folks at VZW via phone, and this is what I am doing:

I have a Family Basic plan (700min/month) with an added line for 9.99 and 250 texts at 4.99. I upgrade the two (primary) lines on the plan to Storm2s (BOGO, so only paying for one) and the third line to the Razzle. This entails adding two $30 data plans to the two main lines, but online they are currently discounted 25% (to ~$23 each). Next, when the 6th rolls around, I am going to return the Storm2 on the primary line and exchange it for the Droid - dishing out an additional $55 ($35 restock plus the $20 price difference on the contract).

Finally, after all is said and done, I am calling eservice (or using *228) and swapping the Droid to the third line and the Razzle to the first line - which will entail switching the data plan to the third line as well, which is the one with the 250 SMS anyway.

I have been in contact with the folks at VZW 5 times in the last 4 days, and have verified that this is the way to go about doing it, rather than making the third line the primary line (and thus losing my NE2 discount). Besides, this way I get a Storm2 *and* a Droid for about $240....and I can't argue with that.

If I could swing 2 Droids (or if there is a BOGO promotion for it) then both would get swapped to Droids. But, in the absence of that this is the best route for me.

Upvote 0
Hey all I am planning on getting the 6th but I'm in a similar situation to you some of you guys. My situation is I have 3 lines on the 1400 minute family shared plan. My fathers line and mine are both blackberries. Now, I've been told that the primary line, which is technically my line, is up for the 1 year early renewal whatever on December something. The rep explained that if we upgraded that line, or any ONE of them on that date, we could get the same price as a new 2 year contract.

Here's my question. Will I be able to go into a store on 11/6, assuming stock permits, and get a droid at full retail without having any affect on the above scenario? Reason being is my father wants to upgrade his bb to a droid as well but he will just wait until December to do so. I guess what I'm saying is this shouldn't affect my contract or anything right?

Upvote 0
Hey all I am planning on getting the 6th but I'm in a similar situation to you some of you guys. My situation is I have 3 lines on the 1400 minute family shared plan. My fathers line and mine are both blackberries. Now, I've been told that the primary line, which is technically my line, is up for the 1 year early renewal whatever on December something. The rep explained that if we upgraded that line, or any ONE of them on that date, we could get the same price as a new 2 year contract.

Here's my question. Will I be able to go into a store on 11/6, assuming stock permits, and get a droid at full retail without having any affect on the above scenario? Reason being is my father wants to upgrade his bb to a droid as well but he will just wait until December to do so. I guess what I'm saying is this shouldn't affect my contract or anything right?

Purchasing a Droid to replace a phone on your contract at full price will not effect your contract in any way...but understand that if the phone that you are replacing does not currently have the data plan you will need to add that.

I will be switching out my BB Storm for a Droid on Friday and will be picking up the Droid at full retail. Hate to pay the price but I really want the Droid....

Upvote 0
Reviving this thread from the dead for a quick question...

I've decided that the best route for me is to add a line. My girlfriend currently pays $100/month for a VZW Blackberry plan, with July 2010 being the 2 year date. If I gave her my old, non-smartphone and added a line, my monthly total would be around $110 - $120 for both lines (Droid data included). So, even if she had to spend $90 on early termination, money would definitely be saved after a few months (her portion of the bill would be halved to $50, mine would be $80).

My question, then: would it be possible for her to move her number to the new line that I'm adding, even though she plans on canceling her contract? That is, could she swap her number with the one given to me for the new line, and then terminate her contract (effectively keeping her old number)? Does Verizon allow number swapping across different contracts, if both parties agree?

Thanks for any answers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones