1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Currently using an iPhone 4 but want to switch to Android (Nexus S!)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kayleighkustar, Feb 21, 2011.

1. kayleighkustar

None

Feb 20, 2011
    Hi,

I am brand new to this forum. At the moment I own an iPhone 4 and have done since August. I am tied into a 24 month contract with Orange UK but since I live in the UK I can get a Nexus S and put my SIM into it...

I am basically BORED of the iPhone 4 - okay so it's really beautiful, feels great in the hand but you can't do anything with it. I have jailbroken mine and still it's boring. My friend at work (I work for Carphone Warehouse btw) has just got a Nexus S and she swears by it - only downside for me would be the memory but since I am using a 16GB iPhone then this shouldn't really make a difference (don't think I'd use it for music - still have an old 16GB iPod nano for that).

Basically, the only thing I am really worried about is that id get rid of my iPhone 4 and then want it back (once I have got rid of it it will be really hard to get one back since they're expensive and I won't be able to afford to buy it outright and since stock in very low in England still!).

Has anybody come from an iPh4 to a NS? Please share your experience with me. I am dieing to know all about NS and what it has to offer (I've seen tons of reviews etc but nothing is better that first hand info from full time users!)

Advertisement

2. Chuckenfoot

Chuckenfoot Newbie
    None

Jan 14, 2011
    I sold my iphone 4 for the ns a little over a month ago. The iphone 4 is physically better...but the android software is so much better...you'll be lost at first with all the options you don't currently have....but you won't miss your iphone! Make the change, you'll love it!

3. kayleighkustar

None

Feb 20, 2011
    Did you make any tweaks to the NS?

4. czechplastik

czechplastik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    I had a 3GS before and lets face it...aside from the hardware it's basically the same OS.

I got frustrated for the same reason you did, zero customisation. It is what it is and if you don't like it there's nothing you can do about it!

I don't exploit Android as much as I could, my NS isn't rooted or anything funky like that, mostly because I'm so happy with how it is standard. I have my homescreens filled with widgets the way I like it. I can change the clock and layout as I see fit. It's small things that make the difference for me, small things you can't do with an iPhone. If you like to play deeper the forum here is full of information about you can do if you want to. Possibilities really are limitless.

Sure, I do miss syncing my phone to iTunes but doubletwist works the same and in many ways is better but as you say you'll still be using your iPod this won't be an issue for you either. The apps are coming as Android continues to eat up the market but as you didn't mention that I'm assuming that isn't a massive concern for you?

The big thing is freedom...if you don't like something, you can change it.

Many go from iPhone to Android. Few go back ;)

5. frenzy757

frenzy757 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    iSyncr and iSyncr Wifi addon lets you use itunes and since over wifi to yuor phone...I can sync without plugging it in....

Free hotspot without rooting is awesome...

I love it

6. moordown66

moordown66 Member
    None

Oct 26, 2010
    I'm one of the very few who'd actually like to go back I think. Swaps anyone?

7. czechplastik

czechplastik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 25, 2010
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    For what reasons?

8. moordown66

moordown66 Member
    None

Oct 26, 2010
    Prefer the OS. Find the customisation tedious. Won't accept a security certificate for work secure wifi which is REALLY annoying.

9. onthecouch

onthecouch Newbie
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Ultimately, the choice is yours and at the risk of sounding cliche, it's what you want out of your phone. Everyone's experience is also different, but I'll share my opinions as well.

I love Android but I am also critical of its faults. There are criticisms with the Android OS worth noting; and there are certainly things the iOS/iPhone 4 do better.

First of all, Android is not entirely stable, or not as stable as iOS. There are incidents where the phone reboots during calls, or reboots by itself sometimes (though the latter occurs very rarely). The stock Gallery app is sub par, despite having a lot of pizazz in terms of how it looks. Albums can take upwards of 30-60 seconds to load, sometimes pictures can take a while as well. And on occasion, the phone will load the wrong picture unless you reboot. After taking a photo with the camera, hitting the thumbnail to view the picture in full in the Gallery can once again result in long load times. This can be aggravating, and embarrassing when trying to show pictures to friends. Thankfully, apps like QuickPic are a better alternative.

Also, I've been particularly critical of the Nexus S touch screen. Something about it is just not as responsive as the iPhone/iOS. Sometimes the phone misses swipes, or even misses presses. However, the most frustrating thing about the touchscreen experience certainly lies in the typing/keyboard. Something about the Android stock keyboard is not as reliable. I can type with utter confidence on the iPhone (even on an iPod Touch, honestly) and know it'll register every key and press I make. Also, this particular glitch, which I captured on video and speak about in this thread (http://androidforums.com/nexus-s/278325-android-keyboard-issue-double-letters.html) is particularly problematic. Expect a lot of double-letter presses at the beginning of your words "like tthis for eexample."

Lastly, you may miss the battery life. As decent as the battery life is on the Nexus S, it lasts only because you've hedged your use of the phone and cut back on battery draining features like live wallpapers, or constantly updating widgets, etc. It's ironic that these are what's boasted about the Android experience, yet in order to have your phone get through a day, you have to relinquish using these features; in other words, you can't truly use your phone to its full advantage. You want to pop in and out of a game of scrabble with your friends throughout the day? Expect to live by the charger.

Now, I don't want to come off the wrong way. There are plenty of things to enjoy about the Android phone: customizations and freedom of choice in terms of what are your standard apps (for example, to solve the gallery issue, you can download Quickpic; to solve the keyboard issue, you can try other alternatives like Swype). I'm just pointing out the things that you may miss from your iPhone. Likewise, I'm just making you aware that the "stock vanilla Android" experience that is so often hyped up is not all its cracked up to be, and not without its caveats. The fact of the matter is, the stock Gingerbread OS is chock full of glitches (random custom ringtone changes is a frustrating one, the reboots during phone calls may be a huge issue, home screen and gallery issues, the aforementioned keyboard glitch/oddity; there are many others -- it may be worth reading more threads/forums about complaints and bugs). There are no longer OEM skins to place the blame on for these issues. As it turns out, stock Android seems to hamper the overall experience just fine on its own. And lastly, the fact that Google updates to the phone directly is certainly a bonus, but in the oncoming years, as carriers and manufacturers get on the ball about updates, I think this will begin to change and become less important. Tmobile themselves have stated that the importance of updates are a relatively new thing, and only recently have they begun to understand this. Didn't they promise phones will be updated to the latest Android OS within 3 months? Of course, promises are just promises until seen in action. It'll be interesting to see how updates are handled in the oncoming years. The fact that updates are clean and vanilla versions of Android would mean so much more if stock Android wasn't so full of glitches in the first place.

If these things are minor issues to you, then I think you're ready to jump ship. Personally, I am torn. I love the Android experience indeed for what it does well, but these issues, some of which are purely basic functions, make it difficult to enjoy the phone fully. iOS may be "boring," but its basic functions are incredibly stable and reliable. It's a trade off, and really ultimately about what you prefer.

Ronin12 likes this.
  10. moordown66

moordown66 Member
    None

Oct 26, 2010
    I've certainly had no problems with the screen or keyboard or reboots. No problems with anything actually. My issue is the certificate and I'm just not the type (as I said) who can be bothered with customisation

11. Martin J

Martin J Member
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    Chester, UK
    I actually think the Nexus S sound quality is pretty good, so you might want to replace the Nano and use a streaming service such as Spotify (excellent fidelity) or Napster (larger catalogue) instead. An unlimited data plan is fairly important, but you can always download to the 'phone via WiFi.
    I think that's unfair, or at least a distortion of the likelihood of seeing this glitch. As is evident from your own thread, most of us can't replicate this behaviour.

The same could be said for software glitches and Gingerbread's supposed problems, speaking from my own personal experience, I haven't seen the 'phone hiccup once.

12. onthecouch

onthecouch Newbie
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    I suppose others are not as fortunate...

199 people have reported random custom ringtone changes (Issue 13413 - android - Ringtones assigned to contacts do not maintain assignment after a reboot. - Project Hosting on Google Code)

93 for a variety of Gallery related issues (Issue 13419 - android - New pictures disappear in Gallery - Project Hosting on Google Code)

63 for Home screen lag/hiccups with swipe, etc. (Issue 13563 - android - Nexus S 2.3 Home Screen lag, freeze, hiccups - Project Hosting on Google Code)

And this is only a small fraction of Nexus owners who are interested enough in tech. to check forums and take the effort/time to report things to Google. Likewise, the keyboard glitch has been corroborated by other users at other forums; granted not everyone seems to be able to recreate the glitch, yet some people who say they can't recreate the particular glitch have experienced double letter presses in every day typing. I don't fully understand the issue with the keyboard, I admit, but the problem is real for some people. The video I made is not a hoax. Check out the XDA Nexus S General forum. There's an entire thread there (started by me) about keyboard issues with many people able to recreate the glitch.

Likewise, I myself haven't experienced reboots during phone calls, but it seems to be a huge issue worth reporting about at Engadget, AndroidCentral, and other tech blogs.

Gingerbread has glitches (as do other OSes, I know), and there is no escaping this. I'm just being honest and open about it for someone who wants to know about my experiences with the NS.

13. Martin J

Martin J Member
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    Chester, UK
    I have no issue about being "honest" and "open" about bugs, but we have to state their prominence and status accurately and fairly.

Bug forums are specifically intended to allow everyone to report bugs and by their very nature, give a biased view of a device, even though for some people the issues are real and important. Nobody runs a website where everyone can report every instance of their device working perfectly, even though statistically, that's a far larger percentage of users.

My post was intended only to address your choice of words, when you told the OP to "expect" keyboard issues. That's like telling a mortgage applicant to "expect your house to burn down" because they work at a fire station and almost everyone who rings them reports that their house is on fire. ;)

I think we should also tell the OP that the major headline bug, the random reboot issue, is fixed in the latest version of Gingerbread.

czechplastik likes this.
  14. onthecouch

onthecouch Newbie
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Touche ; )

Tags: