• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cursive Font will not go away!

HBvetteman

Lurker
Oct 13, 2021
OK, my first post here and hope someone can help. For some weird reason, all my SENT messages show in Cursive Font on my A20. I have the font set as Default for my phone. All emails I send from my desktop or laptop are normal, all in Comic Sans. But every one I open on my phone show in Cursive. Cannot find a way to change it. Must be missing something , as this font is not an option on my phone to even be there!

Hi! Welcome to the forums. :)

A little more information will be helpful. What email client are you using? Does this problem only affect incoming email or do text messages also show in the cursive font? Has it always done this or did it only start doing it recently? Usually font choices are either part of a theme or specified in the app, but the developers can put that anywhere so it would help to know which email app you're using.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hello! Glad to hear from you. All using Outlook for emails on my cell, desktop, and laptop. Everything sends normally, and all is normal when I check my Sent Messages on desktop or laptop. BUT...all my Sent Messages will show in Cursive when looking at them on my cell. Very strange. There is not even a cursive font available on my cell. I also can use Hotmail and same issue on my cell only.

Upvote 0
Sounds to me like the app(s) cannot find the default font and are substituting either the next font alphabetically or the closest matching font. You said that normal for you is Comic Sans, but that's not a standard Android font. Try going into your theme settings and changing the default font, at least temporarily, to see if that changes how your incoming mail looks.

Upvote 0
Maybe I am not saying it correctly, let me restate my problem. My Samsung Galaxy A20 uses Samsung default font. I use Comic Sans on my desktop computer and laptop to send emails. When I send emails from any device, including my cell, font is normal. BUT...when I check any SENT emails on my cell phone, all the Sent emails will display in Cursive. (But not on my other devices) There is no Cursive font being used that I know of, it is not used on my desktop or laptop. That is what I cant figure out, why it is there and why I cant change it.
Those that receive the emails from me do not see it in Cursive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As I stated before, Comic Sans is not a standard Android font so when the style sheet attached to your email looks for Comic sans and can't find it, it's making a substitution. The font may not be installed on your phone if it's also looking in online libraries.

Since you are using Outlook on your phone for email, it's a Microsoft issue, not an Android or Samsung issue. My recommendation would be to discontinue using Comic Sans and stick to more universally recognized fonts like Arial or Times.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Thank you ! I think probably that was the conflict. I went and changed all fonts to Arial, all worked, then changed to Calibri on both my devices, and test sent some emails...all worked again (just easier on my 70 year old eyes to use Calibri for some reason).
I guess our trusty Androids have their tricky ways, just took some gray matter to resolve. Good call!

Upvote 0
Comic Sans is a Microsoft thing and is usually only found in Windows, so I'm not really surprised it's not displaying in Android.

Over the years it's attracted much derision and memes about it.
R-C.jpg

It's use is to be discouraged.

I've seen job candidate resumes and CVs in Comic Sans, and some employers will just send those straight to the recycle bins.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones