1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips cursor keys?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AndroidMax, Jan 8, 2012.

1. AndroidMax

AndroidMax Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    Has anyone figured out if there are cursor keys with this tablet? I can't seem to navigate certain text boxes or forums without them.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    Not that I can find, either. It would be nice to have the cursor functions provided by the TouchPal 'Swype' style keyboard, but I suppose to get that you'll need to use TouchPal. I like it on my Droid X. But when I tried it on the A500 I quickly decided the distance I had to move to slide between keys, especially in landscape, is no fun at all. So I went back to the OEM keyboard.

3. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    Hey, here's one that looks promising! "Hacker's Keyboard". It has arrow keys!! :)

The URL to it on my PC is a monster, but you should find it on the Market under that name. It says it is compatible with all 3 of my Android devices.

It works pretty well, but I miss the audio feedback. I wonder if there is another app that would provide that?

4. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    There's another one named Super Keyboard, and it claims to have sound in with its user configurations. The screen shots show the same kind of cursor movement keys I saw when using TouchPal. So I'll try this one too.

5. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    Super Keyboard is the winner for me!! It incorporates the OEM key-press sounds, but unlike the stock keyboard, it has a key-press volume adjustment, which is something I really wanted! :)

I like it's look, too. I'm using the free version, but there is a Pro version with even more custom features. Give it a try. I think you'll like it. The upper row if keys has built in < and > arrow keys to move the cursor on the line you are on, but it also has a secondary "split" arrangement which has the 4 arrows typical to a full sized PC keyboard.

AndroidMax likes this.
  6. AndroidMax

None

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    Super keyboard is nice, but the cursor function doesn't work correctly in a text box when you have to scroll down. When you get to the last displayed line, instead of scrolling to the next line, It just jumps out of the box to the next highlighted field. Bummer.

7. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    Can you give me an example of a website where I can see this problem?

8. AndroidMax

None

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    Write a product review on amazon. If you exceed the review window size with this browser, you can not cursor down to edit it.

9. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    You mean with the default browser?

10. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    I just posted a review on Amazon using the stock browser, and Super Keyboard. It was 14 lines of text, so I copied it and pasted it in again at the bottom of the text to make it 28 lines. But I did not have any problems at all navigating the window with the touch screen, so I'm not sure what it is you are seeing.

Edit... In the "seller" reviews, where you are only allowed 400 characters, the stock browser doesn't display the scroll slider that the review field shows on a PC browser like Firefox. But after over-filling that review field, I was able to scroll up and down in the tiny field with a carefully placed fingertip. However, the arrow keys on SuperKeyboard also allowed me to navigate around in that field and remove the overflow.

AndroidMax likes this.
  11. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    Speaking of troublesome entry, for some reason the Droid X forums website is terribly hard to work with on this tablet. Using the Opera browser, I can't even get it to recognize that I am in a post entry field. Using the A500 stock browser, (which is laggy when typing on forums) it is next to impossible to place the cursor where you want it in a 'reply with quote', and if you happen to paste a URL link in the post (requiring the use of a special entry tool), you can't get back into the same post to add any more text after the link without posting it first, then attempting to edit the post. Anyone else noticed these problems over there?