• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

curtis international "proscan" trash

heretical

Jun 13, 2013
hello! I am a total newbie to android systems. My gf got me a tablet for xmas, and it is a neat little toy, but could use some improvement. Like a totally new operating system. I understand that android is open-source, and based upon the linux operating system, but also understand that the android system itself is actually a google-designed setup. I have always hated google for their willingness to snitch on people in china who do searches that are not approved by the government, as well as for their general nosiness in collecting my information. With the recent news about illegal spying by the nsa and the complicity of google in this sordid affair, many people out there are probably now asking the same question as myself: "is it possible to simply replace the os on a tablet with another linux-based program, and get rid of the google issue altogether?".
Whether it is possible or feasible to actually put a whole new os into my tablet or not, I am still faced with the daunting task of trying to root my tablet in order to at least get rid of most of the useless crap that was put onto it in the first place, and to get a bit more control over what info my beastie is sending out and to whom. The toy I am talking about is a proscan plt7044k. Several hours of research into this on the web, and on this forum and others, lets me know that this particular model is probably just trash to begin with. Nobody seems to know much about it, and what I have read has not been favorable. The manufacturer doesn't list any drivers or other needed info in its firmware update as it does with other models, just an image to restore it (and I have no clue as to how to use that, nor do I have the ability to burn a disc) and a power point presentation showing how to use the part of the software that isn't included in the firmware update.
Believe me, I have tried some of the stuff that some people reportedly had success with. But I am not a genius when it comes to computers, and it may well be my inability to follow instructions properly or to read what may seem to be plain english to other people. Heck, right now, I am not even able to get my puter to do more than show the name of the device when I plug it into the usb drive. That is an improvement over what it was doing a few hours ago, but that still is not the same as being able to have the device actually show up on a search or to access anything on it.
Over the next couple of weeks or so, I do intend to spend a bit of time reading the stickies that teach more about the basics, as well as continue with the internet searches (using a search engine that does NOT record my ip to sell to spammers!) and learn what I can from there...right now, though, I am just sick of it and hope somebody here can offer a little bit of help.
Mods, would you consider opening a forum on this model if we can get enough response here?
Thanks!

Reactions: heretical
Upvote 0
thank you! I had already run across the thread you mentioned about off-brand phones, and will look further at the general tablet talk threads.
Is there any way of brute-forcing any random version of android into being recognized by a computer and then either being totally replaced (perhaps by Ubuntu or something like that) or getting root access once it has been recognized? Has anybody out there found a driver that will work for this item? I am willing to take my time with this, learn all of the programming skills necessary.

Upvote 0
the point is simple: this is what I have, and what I have to work with. I cannot afford to get another device, and must make the best use of this one that I can. And yes, I do change my own oil, rebuild my own engines, recycle my trash, even forge my own knives when necessary rather than just throw something away and buy another. There are quite a few people out there who would rather recycle or make the best of what they have than to take the easy way out.

Upvote 0
ah. That opens my eyes quite a bit. I am totally uneducated in computer-stuff, and even less knowledgeable in android stuff. Other than using search engines that don't record my ip, or not making a google profile (yes, I do have gmail), I am unaware of what else exists out there or how to do things like what you have mentioned. Flashing a clean rom on it sounds like one way of doing what I was asking about, which is mainly avoiding having to use google at all except if and when I choose to. And that is something I know absolutely nothing about.
Now I have some homework to do researching that process. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones