• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom Boot - Blue X takeover for root users

WACOMalt

Jun 26, 2010
EDIT: Changed the thread title now because I'm gonna keep adding more.

This was my first customized boot animation for Droid X. It starts as usual, but when the eye flares, the screen glitches and the eye turns to blue.

Update: if I ever said you don't need to be rooted to do this, I was wrong :p you do.

I repeat: ROOT ONLY

Also it seems the wallpaper location is different for some people, but putting it in data/loacl always works (even if that's not where the original one is, and even if the original one is still wherever it was).

Droid X Blue takeover
bluetakeoverpreview.gif

Download Blue Takeover Droid X boot animation

Made in After Effects. This was mostly just a test to see if I could get some custom boots working. I think I'll take requests if anyone wants something special. Just note I may completely never finish anything, depending on time and interest :)

but if I choose to do your idea I'll let you know :)

(btw, I know this one is lame, again, it was a test. Throw some good ideas at me)

UPDATE! A New one:

Droid X Looking Around bootscreen:
droidxlookingpreview.gif

Click Here to Download Droid X Looking BootScreen

Send me a PM if you want the AE-CS5 template of the DroidX intro without any contents..

THis is my customized boot animation for Droid X. It starts as usual, but when the eye flares, the screen glitches and the eye turns to blue.

Here's a preview gif of what it looks like:
bluetakeoverpreview.gif

Download Blue Takeover Droid X boot animation

Made in After Effects. This was mostly just a test to see if I could get some custom boots working. I think I'll take requests if anyone wants something special. Just note I may completely never finish anything, depending on time and interest :)

but if I choose to do your idea I'll let you know :)

(btw, I know this one is lame, again, it was a test. Throw some good ideas at me)

Any change of doing one that has a hockey puck looking like it's shattering the screen? Or just some hockey themed one.

Thanks.

Reactions: bbuck002 and Devz
Upvote 0
I just made a new one, not the hockey one yet, but I added this one to the first post.

droidxlookingpreview.gif

In making this one I took the time to make a template for the default Droid X loader, so you can easily replace the contents of the eye. I removed te waves of energy that go out as well so they dont get in the way. If anyone wants it, to use for their own personal boot screens, send me a PM. If you use it I only require that you note that you used my template in your posts if you ever share your booter.

You know what would make a good app? a full featured skinning app. One that can replace built in program icons, change the wallpaper, replace the boot images, and control all sounds on the phone. Someone with coding experience get on that :p

Upvote 0
That's Hawt...

How do you install these things?

You'll need some way to copy things to your phones /data/local/ folder. NOT on the SD, on the root of the phone, then data, then local. Basically you copy the bootanimation.zip file to that folder (the zip file itself, don't un-compress it or anything)

Might never happen but I think a "Cylon" sweeping red eye would be pretty cool. That back and forth eye with the "Droid" deep voice saying "By your command" when you booted up would be classic.

That's pretty cool. I am not entirely sure how to do boot sounds, I know it is possible though, but I have never had even the default boot sound on my droid X... so if anyone can fill me in I'll add this one to my list. Also does anyone have a sound clip of that audio they could send me?

I don't think it's possible to push custom boot up clips and audio to the X yet but I could be wrong.

You're wrong :p
Pretty sure the adp method works, and easier still is root explorer, (read the top of this post for how)

I have a custom boot screen on my X. I haven't tried adding custom boot audio yet.

You can change the boot screen as soon as root was obtained.

I thought root wasnt even needed to write to data/local? Yes you need root explorer which will show those folders, but it never asked me for superuser privileges (though I am rooted).

Upvote 0
How do you go about installing one? Copy it to the data and local folders?

... the post right above yours...

Yeah that's what you do. For more detail: get root explorer. I don't think you actually have to be rooted, but this program will show you all folders on your phone. Copy the boot animation.zip file to the sd card, open root explorer, and browse to the sd card folder, then copy the bootanimation.zip file, then go up to the root of your phone, then data, then local, and paste that file.

Reboot

Enjoy.

Reactions: odiej34
Upvote 0
... the post right above yours...

Yeah that's what you do. For more detail: get root explorer. I don't think you actually have to be rooted, but this program will show you all folders on your phone. Copy the boot animation.zip file to the sd card, open root explorer, and browse to the sd card folder, then copy the bootanimation.zip file, then go up to the root of your phone, then data, then local, and paste that file.

Reboot

Enjoy.

copy bootanimation.zip to the /data/local folder

Got it, thanks.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have Astro and I can see a data folder in the top most directory, but when I open it it has nothing in it. Not sure if there is some limitations with not being rooted that disallows me to see the folder contents or not. I'll probably end up rooting my phone eventually anyways, just been too busy learning about it the past couple days.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones