1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Custom contact notification not working?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SconnieInShorts, Apr 23, 2016.

1. SconnieInShorts

None

Apr 23, 2016
    Male
    Hello all! I just received my S7 Edge from work on Tuesday (yay!) and I am loving it. I do have one problem with it though... I've set a custom notification sound for my work's paging system, but it doesn't seem to be working when I receive a text message from that contact, it just plays the default notification. I've also got a custom ringtone set, and that works perfectly fine. Both are downloaded from Zedge, but I've even moved the notification to the phone's "Notifications" folder and tried to set it that way. Restarting the phone doesn't work either.

For the record, I *am* able to hear a sound, but it is the default message sound, not the custom sound I set on the contact. Also using the stock Messages app, not Messages+. The only thing I can think of is that the SMS message looks like it comes from an email, not just a phone number, but I can't imagine that would be the issue because it's all the same contact.

Thanks in advance for any help you offer!

Advertisement

2. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    If you are familiar with either MacroDroid or Tasker, you can easily set up a macro that will do what you want. I have my system set up to actually announce/display the name of several different individuals when I get a text message from them.

3. SconnieInShorts

None

Apr 23, 2016
    Male
    I'm not familiar with those programs, and I'm sure I could make them work easy enough, but I would much rather have the phone function the way it is supposed to without having to do it myself.

4. Nanster59

Nanster59 Newbie
    None

Jun 4, 2017
    Just a thought. After installing the last Samsung updates, I was not getting text notifications but it's fixed now! I tried all of the suggestions on here and none worked except one: uninstalling CM Security. If you have it, try uninstalling it. This did it for me. I am SOOOOO relieved! Good luck! Hope this helps!

5. seVer

seVer Android Expert

May 1, 2010
    Unknown. Previous VZW Tech Support for 7 years.
    to confirm, you went to contacts> (the work paging system contact)> edit> more> message tone> set whatever tone you want. yea?

6. Nanster59

Nanster59 Newbie
    None

Jun 4, 2017
    Not sure who you are replying to, if it was me, I went into apps, found CM Security, and then uninstalled it. It was fine until I did an update on my Samsung S7.

7. seVer

seVer Android Expert

May 1, 2010
    Unknown. Previous VZW Tech Support for 7 years.
    replying to OP

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.