• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom firmware/cool apps?

js593

May 21, 2011
I have a Galaxy S Captivate (im sure its applied to this sub forum) and im looking to find out what the advantage is to custom firmwares on this phone. Currently, im running Froyo package and im not really sure where to start looking (was looking for some sort of sticky)

I come from an apple world where my 3GS is jailbroken w/ 4.2.1 with a TON of goodies. Since its an entirely different operating system, i dont want to screw it up.

Any suggestions from you guys?

-Dan

Edit: One of the biggest apps im looking for, is an app to play MP4 extensions (HD video's). Some of my MP4's play, some dont. Ive tried Meridian, but it does the same thing.

im looking to find out what the advantage is to custom firmwares on this phone.

The advantages are very similar to your iPhone when it was jailbroken; you can do stuff that you would not otherwise be able to do. I myself am not into that rooting stuff (just because I'm not too terribly tech savvy) but from what I've seen from afar, no custom rom / firmare / whatever you want to call it has ALL the perks; you've got to kinda shop around and find which has more of the perks you need. Though I'm not really in the position to be giving advice on the topic, I would still say: research, research, research.

I hope I was of some help.

Upvote 0
Your best bet is to start at CapFaq to educate yourself on the process - and while I'd normally encourage you to check out the ROM table on that site, it doesn't look like Smerick has had an opportunity to update it in awhile.

MobileTechVideos has, as the name implies, video reviews of Captivate ROMs, as well as instructions on how to install them.

Lastly, and probably most importantly, this is the link to the "Android Development" section for the Captivate on XDA. That's where you're going to find ROMs, Kernals, Modems. Unfortunately the "master list" on that site isn't updated either, but thankfully most threads have a date in the title of when they were last updated.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones