• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom HTC HERO Rom 1.5 super FAST.

mcmonkiez

Aug 18, 2009
Folks ,

I just install custom 1.5 HTC HERO rom on my hero and have to say its just amazing..

phone have no LAG at all.. mean no LAG its just faster compare to the original rom comes with the phone.

i never done the radio update as i had trouble last night using the custom radio i decided dont even go there..

just update the 1.5 custom rom and its super fast.. and can say now when my iphone 3gs next to it no speed difference when scrolling and going into settings it even faster actually.

i am just thinking when the official rom com out how fast that would be :p

Hi - did you use the unlockr.com method? How is the the ROM different to the standard Orange one as far as interface/apps are concerned? Did you have to reconfigure internet settings etc? Thanks Phil

yes i did the unlockr.com method.

what i did was root using the following method.

YouTube - How To - Root Your HTC Hero in One Click (www.TheUnlockr.com)

and use this method to use 1.5 ROM

How To: Load a Custom ROM on Your HTC Hero | The Unlockr

donw load the 1.5 rom from here:
http://android.modaco.com/content/h...018/02-09-1-5-modaco-custom-hero-rom-is-here/

i would advised dont even trying to update radio as i had so much trouble updating radio update so i am using the radio update which was shipped with the phone i'll wait for HTC update that automatically over the air.

i am on orange when load the 1.5 orange logos and bookmarks was gone..
apart from the everything exactly the same and couple of extra apps in the where u can adjust font settings of ur phone as well as the window open speed and stuff.

camera .. now you can touch on the screen to do auto focus instead camera does it automatically in the original rom.. its like iphone 3gs u can touc the screen where u like camera to focus on.
yes APN settings was delete but was easy to put them pack just going to settgins and add new apn which is orangeinternet to access the internet..

Note: when you do update to 1.5 make sure do the backup then wipeout then install sd card update zip...
but boy it is FAST.

Upvote 0
I'm super eager to do this...My only concern is after I do this and the real update comes in a few days (if it even does) how will the phone be effected???

Also, will this update even come to US users over the air?? I'm assuming not and that we'll have to go to the HTC site to get it right?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Slightly puzzled as the video doesn't show any significant improvement over my current system. Also that's far from a one-click install.. Will just wait for the proper one, seems pointless to go for a hookey one if the real one's due out soon, then a comparison can be done.

Upvote 0
All I got to say folks,

No harm trying 1.5 is it?

All I care is my hero is hero now lol

1.5 and I m loving it the speed no lag when going to different home screen and application and I don't have to. use task kill application any more .

Hero now so responsive then ever .

Fantastic speed its truly faster then. 3gs iPhone when u switch application and settings well done 1.5

Upvote 0
mcmonkiez, were you able to easily restore all your apps (paid ones)?

i made backup of my all apps on sd card and once i upgrade to 1.5 i just restore all the apps using the same app onto my phone it was very simple.

by the way..

my orange reception also have better then before i can see full 5 bars of Gprs where i use to get only 3 bars.

so i bet rom have made alot of improvement... its not orange network or t-mobile fault at all. its the handset with better firmware thats all it counts.

Upvote 0
This has been eating into me all day so as soon as I got home this evening I went for it - and - yeh IT WORKED! No problems at all with the method as described and now I have a super fast and smooth Hero (amazing that the lag is TOTALLY software related)!

Thank you mcmonkiez for the inspiration otherwise I would have chickened out! I can't see any further benefit from the forthcoming official update as this seems to have all that is promised (including java).
The only thing that is a slight problem with the new ROM is that when I add contacts to the favourite people widget, their photos won't show up - do you get this as well?

Otherwise I would encourage anyone to do this, especially on UK Orange as who knows when the update will come and you can enjoy the Hero now as it always should have been.:):):)

Upvote 0
This has been eating into me all day so as soon as I got home this evening I went for it - and - yeh IT WORKED! No problems at all with the method as described and now I have a super fast and smooth Hero (amazing that the lag is TOTALLY software related)!

Thank you mcmonkiez for the inspiration otherwise I would have chickened out!
Otherwise I would encourage anyone to do this, especially on UK Orange as who knows when the update will come and you can enjoy the Hero now as it always should have been.:):):)

i'm glad all went well with ur update 1.5 rom.. did you update the radio update too? i did not coz i had trouble updating the radio and thought just leave it alone.. lol

apart from that love it the hero is proper HERO now u gets me.

by the way no i can see all the fav photos on my in the widget no prob at all..
even few of the pic are not in my album and they still showing up as my contacts sync with google ..

Upvote 0
We are waiting for 2.0 not 1.5

firmware is 1.5 but the baseband build is 1.99.99.9 146733

1.5 just call by the one who create custom completed rom from the testing rom provided by to dev from HTC.

Also
check this out

Analysis of the shipping 2.73.405.5 WWE update - Android @ MoDaCo

new baseband also just released and looks like we might get official update tomorrow not 100% sure but lets see.

1.5 is called from modaco dev.. however he just released 1.6 which is based on build baseband 2.73.405.5.

1.99.99.9 146733 released yesterday and he also released this evening: baseband rom 2.73.405.5.

suppose to be more faster.. let you know once i upload that one.

Upvote 0
Sorry for my stupid question... but whats the radio update for?

radio update update better reception , wifi connection or other settings within the radio file..

Each Android platform version is designed to run on top of a specifc version of the radio firmware. Typically, each successive release of the Android platform relies on a newer version of the radio firmware, so whenever you are planning to flash a new system image to your device, whether upgrade or downgrade, you should also update the radio firmware to the version expected by the platform. If you do not update your radio image, the system may encounter problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones