1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Custom/Modded Reiko Case for LG Optimus V with Extended Battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MyDesignerGuy, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MyDesignerGuy

MyDesignerGuy Lurker

I spent a great deal of time looking for a case that would fit my LG Optimus with a newly installed extended battery. Very few of the universal cases I found did anything for me. I then started to look for cases that fit other phones. To complicate things further, I wanted something that with construction styling.

The first one to come in the mail came from Amazon for $2.93 plus shipping.

[​IMG]

Rugged Heavy Duty Nylon Canvas Protective Cell Phone Case Pouch (with belt clip) for HTC Evo/HD2/Inspire/Thunderbolt
    by Reiko

Put the phone in and "Oh noooooooooze!" Too big.

[​IMG]

The width and depth are perfect! But the height is too high. After some brain storming, I determined that this was a blessing in disguise. So off to our local Jo-Ann Fabrics to get the materials I needed to modify the case:

[​IMG]

Jean Rivets, and Eyelet kit.

The object? To modify the case to fit the phone in a way that looked as close to factory as I could and add another level of functionality not found on any other case.

Per the simple instructions on the packaging, I installed two rivets...

[​IMG]

Not perfect, but close enough for someone who has never done this before and was excited about getting it done.

Next came the eyelet. I drilled the material with a small drill and worked my way up. One thing that I didn't consider was that I should have drilled in REVERSE. The dill bit will catch the material and really bugger things up.

Once the hole was the size I wanted it, I inserted a punch and used a lighter to remove fuzz around the hole as well as giving it a nice clean finish for the eyelet (or grommet) to fit through. Using the tool supplied in the kit, it was an easy install...

[​IMG]

Problem solved, unique case created, and I have a way to put the phone out of harms way when working in the shop (glorified garage with lots of tools!) :)

[​IMG]

Atma and brotherswing like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. brotherswing

brotherswing Android Expert

Nicely done! Good write up, and a clever solution to a problem more than a few of us have faced. I really like the creativity you have, this solution would work for darn near anything!

MyDesignerGuy likes this.

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews