• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Custom Notification Ringtones

I recently set a custom notification ringtone to alert me when I receive a new text message. The ringtone sits in my SD card under the folder "Notifications". Sometimes, I will get a text and my phone will vibrate and pulse light, but the notification ringtone will not be heard. When this happens, I go to Menu>Settings>Sound & display>Notification ringtone and then reselect my ringtone. What will happen on most occasions is as soon as I tap the ringtone I want to set, it will not sample the sound file and the menu will freeze and force close. What happens after this usually involves some cursing and a reboot.

Why is my phone forgetting my notification ringtone selection? Why does it force close like that and how can I prevent this? If it makes any difference in your diagnosis, I am rooted.

Is there a way to just make a ringtone folder to view much like there is a music folder? Only way for me to access my ringtones is ....Settings - sound and display settings - Phone ringtone.
Theres no other way to view them? I tried adding them to my music folder but all it does it mixes them together with everything in there. I cant keep it separate. Any known fixes i havent stumbled upon?

Upvote 0

I know how to set a ringtone. My problem is that it sometimes doesn't play the ringtone and when I try to correct it, the menu freezes up.

it's much easier than this, there is a program in market called ringo lite that allows you to custom set sms notification ringtones to each contact that you have. i've been using it for a while and it seems to work great. the only thing you have to do is set the ring to silent in your messenging app notification settings.

I prefer having one text ringtone for all contacts. I just need to know why it keeps freezing/forgetting.

I think this happens after I mount my SD card when I connect to my computer, but I still don't know how to prevent this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones