• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Custom Notification Sound for Yahoo mail app

leethc

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
I am currently using Yahoo! mail app for my email and I know I can select a notification sound but is restricted only to the list that was presented under Settings->Account Settings->Notification Settings->Choose Sound.

Is there a way to add my own custome sounds to that list?

Thanks in Advance.

I dont use Yahoo, I use AOL but you can add a sound file to the notifications folder on your phone. I added the AOL "you've got mail" notification to my Aol mail.....If you need, search google for the Yahoo incoming mail sound file, copy or download it to your PC, then drag into your notifications folder on your phone once its connected to your pc. Then it should appear in your sound choice within the mail app....

Upvote 0
Sorry Leethc, I didnt realize that the yahoo app didnt offer system sounds. Isnt there a way to set up an IMap account as opposed to using the actual app? Then you will use the stock email style account but have access to the full system sounds....Thats how my AOL account is set up. I dont care what the email UI looks like (mine looks like the Gmail UI)....unless of course yahoo is not included in the regular Imap lineup

Upvote 0
Hello Mygt8a4re, No problem. The email app that comes with the phone did allow me to set up my yahoo account and I can select my own custome sound. However the one thing I don't like about this stock email app is it is not using push technology but instead it will sync with yahoo email server every 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
Here's a little trickery that I did and was able to add my custom audio as a Yahoo notification sound without adding any third party ringtone apps. This does require root access, though.

My logic was (could be flawed, but it worked!) that the Yahoo Mail app was pointing to system audio/ringtone files and didn't have it's own file collection, hence not being able to just dump some new audio files into a folder and have them show up as options.

So I just overwrote one of the system notification sound files with a custom sound of my own that had the same filename.

1) From within the Yahoo Mail app, identify one of the notification sounds that you're sure you'll never want to use. I chose the "Caffeinated Rattlesnake"

2) Locate this audio file in your system folder. On my phone (Droid Razr Maxx, Android 4.1) it was in /system/media/audio/notifications and was named "CaffeineSnake.ogg"

3) Now use an audio program (I used Audacity) to create an audio file of the new custom sound that you want to use. Save/export that file as an "Ogg Vorbis File" and name it "CaffeineSnake.ogg"

4) Get the new "CaffeineSnake.ogg" file onto your phone, then move it to the /system/media/audio/notifications folder and overwrite the existing "CaffeineSnake.ogg." This step requires root access to overwrite the system file... I use the app 'Root Explorer' by Speed Software to access/copy/paste/overwrite system files and folders.

5) Now go into Yahoo Mail and go to the notifications section and choose the sound "Caffeinated Rattlesnake."

Voila! You'll now hear your custom sound when a Yahoo Mail notification comes through.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: JimW2010
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones