• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom notifications problems

I am trying to add custom notifications to my G1.

I have created the audio as .ogg files uploaded them to a folder on the root of my sd card '/notifications' and can view them from the Settings > Sound & Display > Notification activity.

My problem is they all sound the same! (something like a short ringing sound).

I can play them through the ASTRO file manager and they sound as they do on my PC. I am stumped... perhaps anyone can help me to figure out why this is? I have tried converting to a few different formats (wav, mp3, etc) and using them but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for reading.

I am trying to add custom notifications to my G1.

I have created the audio as .ogg files uploaded them to a folder on the root of my sd card '/notifications' and can view them from the Settings > Sound & Display > Notification activity.

My problem is they all sound the same! (something like a short ringing sound).

I can play them through the ASTRO file manager and they sound as they do on my PC. I am stumped... perhaps anyone can help me to figure out why this is? I have tried converting to a few different formats (wav, mp3, etc) and using them but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for reading.

Try putting just one .ogg sound file in the directory that is very destinctive ... and see if you still have the same issue ...

Upvote 0
that worked after a reboot!

Many thanks :)

I'm trying to add more custom notifications....I'll post if I have any problems.

PS how did you come about this solution? Is there something I can learn here about the way android works...?

It was a thought that maybe the file lookup was just picking the first file it came to .. or only saw one file ... the restart probably cleared the issue ...

A restart can clear many problems same principle as your PC ... this is a computer just like a PC ...

Upvote 0
posted somewhere else, then i found this....copy and paste sucka:

ive done everything you guys have said, even before i signed up for this site:

made the "notification" folder
tried mp3/ogg
tired ringdroid
rebooted
removed battery

nothing has worked.

sorry, the problem im having is that my custom sounds wont play when their supposed to. i have it set as the not. sound and they play when i preview them, but doesn't when i actually get a not. it goes back to the "droid" sound...

could it be the bit rate? ive tried about 5 different combos with bitrates/stereo/mono

if any one can help me, ill make them some custom tones...mine sound like soundwave from the transformers cartoon:

"R7 has received incoming text notification"

and

"R7 is recieveing mobile voice communication from...identifing: jade"

R7 = my droid's name (tribute to R2D2 and 7 costanza)
jade = my sister.

it worked long enough for two of my friends with iphones to hear that and crap their pants.

also tried handcent, it did what i wanted it to do, but i like the droid icons better : )

DROID!

cheers

mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones