1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Custom Notifications

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tone GEE, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Tone GEE

Tone GEE Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2015
    Male
    Loving me new Galaxy S7 Edge. Not loving the fact that i can't customize ALERTS. I loved the alert tones I used to have but now the edge is not allowing me to browse for custom alerts. I tried to just drop all the old alerts into where the other device alert tones are located but I couldn't find that path either.

Can someone please help?

Advertisement

2. BillArf

BillArf Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    Upstate NY & Florida
    I had no problem taking my favorite ringtones and notifications that I used on my old S5 and placing them in the proper folders on the S7 so they are usable/selectable. Explain more what you tried in regard to this issue.

Tone GEE and bIOforger like this.
  3. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Yea as above its the same deal as before, just add your tones/sounds on the internal storage from the file manager, into the device storage/notifications folder, then they will appear in the list.

Tone GEE likes this.
  4. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert

May 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    I don't know what I did but I have 2 folders Ringtones and Phone Notifications I put on my SD card. Under ringtones they were all their but for message tones they weren't. I changed the name to Notifications and even message tone nothing. And these are on my SD card. I figured maybe I need to somehow put it on internal but than I changed the name back to notifications and I don't know what happened but now under contacts and message tones I can change it to my own custom ones they show up now. I am happy now. I have no reason to use Textra. Plus I hated how you couldn't send a picture on WiFi you had to be on 4G. But I don't know what I did it's just working. I made a thread asking this same thing and then it started working and I didn't know how to delete so I changed the thread to a different question I had.

5. BillArf

None

Aug 7, 2010
    Upstate NY & Florida
    You should have your added ringtones and notifications in the appropriate folders on your device and not on your microSD card. Yes, you can place them on folders on your microSD card and all may seem ok, but then intermittently you will have issues.. Issues like your selected ringtones and or notifications not playing to assigned events and such. In closing, best bet is to keep your added ringtones and notifications in the appropriate folders on your device and not on the microSD card.

#5 BillArf, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    bIOforger likes this.
  6. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert

May 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    Well so far mine's been working but how do you put it on your phone's internal where do you put it I have two separate folders one is ringtones and one is for texting message tones

7. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    My Files, Device storage/Notifications or the Ringtones folders.

8. BillArf

None

Aug 7, 2010
    Upstate NY & Florida
    snipe:
    "Well so far mine's been working ", you say..... As I mentioned, all may seem well but then intermittently issues arise in regard to ringtones and notifications acting weird lets say. Again, It really is best to keep added ringtones and notifications in the appropriate folders on your device and not on the microSD card.

You will see folders names Ringtones and Notifications. Any ringtones you download to the phone should be placed in the Ringtone folder and any Notifications you download should go in the Notifications folder on the device and not placed on the microSD card. You can do this moving of ringtones and notifications with the bulid in Samsung app entitled My Files.

#8 BillArf, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    bIOforger likes this.
  9. Tone GEE

Tone GEE Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2015
    Male
    OK so it appears that I'm not placing my alert sounds in the proper folder - I get that. However, my ringtones are fine. I have all of them. So if my other notifications need to go in a different folder, can someone please tell me the exact path?

10. BillArf

None

Aug 7, 2010
    Upstate NY & Florida
    Ring Tones: My Files>Device Storage>Ringtones
    Notifications: My Files>Device Storage>Notifications

11. Tone GEE

Tone GEE Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2015
    Male
    Thank you kindly - I'm cured

12. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert

May 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    Yes thank you and I will try to find the app and move them I just didn't want to waste internal storage if I didn't have to but I'll just put the ones I mainly use on their thank you

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.