• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Notifications

Tone GEE

Lurker
Sep 15, 2015
Loving me new Galaxy S7 Edge. Not loving the fact that i can't customize ALERTS. I loved the alert tones I used to have but now the edge is not allowing me to browse for custom alerts. I tried to just drop all the old alerts into where the other device alert tones are located but I couldn't find that path either.

Can someone please help?

Loving me new Galaxy S7 Edge. Not loving the fact that i can't customize ALERTS. I loved the alert tones I used to have but now the edge is not allowing me to browse for custom alerts. I tried to just drop all the old alerts into where the other device alert tones are located but I couldn't find that path either.

Can someone please help?

I had no problem taking my favorite ringtones and notifications that I used on my old S5 and placing them in the proper folders on the S7 so they are usable/selectable. Explain more what you tried in regard to this issue.

Upvote 0
I don't know what I did but I have 2 folders Ringtones and Phone Notifications I put on my SD card. Under ringtones they were all their but for message tones they weren't. I changed the name to Notifications and even message tone nothing. And these are on my SD card. I figured maybe I need to somehow put it on internal but than I changed the name back to notifications and I don't know what happened but now under contacts and message tones I can change it to my own custom ones they show up now. I am happy now. I have no reason to use Textra. Plus I hated how you couldn't send a picture on WiFi you had to be on 4G. But I don't know what I did it's just working. I made a thread asking this same thing and then it started working and I didn't know how to delete so I changed the thread to a different question I had.

Upvote 0
I don't know what I did but I have 2 folders Ringtones and Phone Notifications I put on my SD card. Under ringtones they were all their but for message tones they weren't. I changed the name to Notifications and even message tone nothing. And these are on my SD card. I figured maybe I need to somehow put it on internal but than I changed the name back to notifications and I don't know what happened but now under contacts and message tones I can change it to my own custom ones they show up now. I am happy now. I have no reason to use Textra. Plus I hated how you couldn't send a picture on WiFi you had to be on 4G. But I don't know what I did it's just working. I made a thread asking this same thing and then it started working and I didn't know how to delete so I changed the thread to a different question I had.

You should have your added ringtones and notifications in the appropriate folders on your device and not on your microSD card. Yes, you can place them on folders on your microSD card and all may seem ok, but then intermittently you will have issues.. Issues like your selected ringtones and or notifications not playing to assigned events and such. In closing, best bet is to keep your added ringtones and notifications in the appropriate folders on your device and not on the microSD card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bIOforger
Upvote 0
snipe:
Well so far mine's been working

"Well so far mine's been working ", you say..... As I mentioned, all may seem well but then intermittently issues arise in regard to ringtones and notifications acting weird lets say. Again, It really is best to keep added ringtones and notifications in the appropriate folders on your device and not on the microSD card.

You will see folders names Ringtones and Notifications. Any ringtones you download to the phone should be placed in the Ringtone folder and any Notifications you download should go in the Notifications folder on the device and not placed on the microSD card. You can do this moving of ringtones and notifications with the bulid in Samsung app entitled My Files.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bIOforger
Upvote 0
Yea as above its the same deal as before, just add your tones/sounds on the internal storage from the file manager, into the device storage/notifications folder, then they will appear in the list.
OK so it appears that I'm not placing my alert sounds in the proper folder - I get that. However, my ringtones are fine. I have all of them. So if my other notifications need to go in a different folder, can someone please tell me the exact path?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones