1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Custom notifications?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by merrion13, Jul 19, 2010.

1. merrion13

merrion13 Newbie

Jul 19, 2010
    Chicago
    Using the Captivate coming from a BB Bold. One thing I loved about my bold was how I was able to customize notifications; email was only indicated by the LED light, SMS vibrated, phone vibrated then rang, and additionally, I had unique notification settings for certain contacts (ie, my wife).

Is there a way to do any of the above? Especially looking for a way to keep email notification silent but have SMS vibrate.

Advertisement

2. merrion13

merrion13 Newbie

Jul 19, 2010
    Chicago
    bump...anyone?

3. peterpp

peterpp Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2010
    USA
    Go to messages, on the next screen which shows your messages, click the menu button, then settings. In the settings you can change it and other things as well. Hope this helps!

4. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Android Enthusiast

Yeah, you have to change the notification settings for each individual application. Do this by getting into the app in question, then hitting the menu button. Kind of a pain, though. I wonder if there's an app that'd let you manage the settings of all programs in one spot...?

5. MrTony

Jul 16, 2010
    There's an app I downloaded from the Market to customize notifications called "Missed Call" because I was frustrated with not being able to change the notification sound for text messages. Hope this helps.

6. MrTony

Jul 16, 2010
    Damn...guess I can get rid of "Missed Call"!

7. ozziedog

ozziedog Newbie

Jul 20, 2010
    Retired
    Texas
    I'm also coming from years of using blackberry phone, is custom notification/ring tone for phone and SMS done the same way?
    What I had on the blackberry was vibrate and then ring to one tone and SMS ring and vibrate to a different tone. Email was just vibrate for each of the four email accounts I have. Thanks for all the help. I'm new to this site so if posted incorrectly please advise.

8. olrak

olrak Lurker

Jun 17, 2010
    What I would like is the screen to turn on temporarily when a notification is received (email, SMS, etc) when the phone is locked and the screen is off. I think that would be useful especially while at work when I have my phone sitting next to me but no ringtone set.

9. olrak

olrak Lurker

Jun 17, 2010
    Also, seems like the vibration is very weak.... most of the time I don't even notice it.

10. sremick

sremick Android Expert

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Settings -> Sound and Display -> Vibration intensity

11. olrak

olrak Lurker

Jun 17, 2010
    That's only for the haptic feedback, not the notifications.

12. kiraij

kiraij Lurker

Jul 22, 2010
    i don't know if this question fits here, but i'll try it, coz in some part it has to do with notifications.

as i had before samsung galaxy the motorola krsomething, the smaller version of the v3, i was used to use different norification sounds for calendar events, as i could select them individually when entering the event itself. now, as i was browsing the market, i was wondering if there's some kind of app that let you do that with android too, coz mostly wot i found was only related to calendar display and the like.