• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Custom recovery for ZTE Obsidian (Z820)?

The-Truth

Android Expert
Sep 30, 2014
Lansing
Hello A.F. been looking around all day for an All things root guide for the ZTE Z820 MetroPCS. I rooted it first with KingRoot but had some issues with deleting KR data to run supersume and gain supersu instead. so I used my fav never failed me yet Kingo Root to just go ahead and kingo root it then simply run SuperSu over kingo. works like a charm every time. So I have a new method two methods actually to root by way of kingo and gain supersu. maybe somebody else had already used this method to root the zte z820 but I can't find it anywhere in the forums. I'm looking for info about a working custom recovery for this device if there is one but again I been all over Google xda and android forums. I can't find proper place to even enquire about root for the z820 by zte so I'm basically asking any Android forum moderators to point me in the correct direction to enquire about the z82o so I can post in the right thread plz

Last edited:
Again I have rooted the ZTE Z820 by way of Kingo and then just installing superSU OVER KINGO. If this info and method has already been posted I apologize but as I have stated I can't find a thing about this device in the forums and am looking/asking far any A.F. & moderators/A.F./Users help in reguards to a recovery IMG for this device and I will post this root method for the ZTE Z820. All I need to know is if there is a recovery IMG TWRP, CWM, PHILZ etc. If anybody knows ANYTHING and if there is custom recovery for this Z820 and I will post this new method. Need help on if anybody knows if there is recovery cuz I can find squate

Upvote 0
Compiled cwm and tried to flash via dd. Unfortunately got the infamous 101 error when trying to boot to recovery. Reflashed with stock recovery. Why does ZTE provide the kernel source code for the Z820 but no unlocked bootloader? Once I figure out how to get around this error we should be good with a recovery image and unofficial CM 12.1 port. Working off BBQLinux.

If anyone knows how to get around this 101 error after flashing a custom recovery please hit me up.

Upvote 0
This won't fix or address the 101 authentication error you mentioned, @xerolath, but I thought you might find @Bigcountry907's work (starting here) interesting.

He takes a stock recovery from the Alcatel One touch Fierce 2 and repacks it's signing keys, and then replaces the stock recovery with this modified one. Then, you re-sign a .zip file (using the same signing keys that the modified recovery expects) and then adb sideload it in the now modified recovery.

Anyway, not a solution but an interesting tangent that might be helpful to you in the future.

Cheers!

Reactions: xerolath
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones