• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Recovery MS690 Optimus M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Success! Thanks for the walk-thru. I do have 1 small issue after the recovery I lost internet access for about 3 hours and it has since came back , but I constantly have weak/poor signal where it's in the past been fairly decent not sure if its related or something I may have done myself anyway to combat this?

Upvote 0
I have one small problem. Whenever I try to boot to recovery the screen is on but black. I have successfully rooted from 2.2.1, removed all of the bloatware and can get everything working except for this menu. I want to make a nandroid backup. I left my phone on for at least 5 mins. and nothing. Should it take this long?
I'm having the same problem as cuttingedge110. Does anyone know if this is a result of something we may have done wrong, or maybe a problem on our specific phone(s)? What are the chances of having everything work as it should if one were to factory reset and start all the way back from the beginning?

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem as a few others here. I have rooted my 2.2.1 and have su access but whenever I try to boot the recovery menu it hangs at a black screen. No matter what manner I try booting into it, being that of the button combo or anReboot. MUST we downgrade to 2.2 for the recovery to work? If so, a simple yes would be all that is needed. I'm trying to get my phone to OC, but I need this recovery to work properly first.

And I *will* donate a few dollars for sure once I get this working. That is a definite. The work you have done for us is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Wow, lots of info here. Well, let's see if you all can help. I've gone through things quite a few times, but just can't get it. I really think I bricked the phone.

1. Can't get # in adb shell
2. Can't download anything from the market
3. phone shows no phone number (guess that's why I can't dl from market)

When I first started this quest I was able to root. I got to the point of being rooted (had terminal at that time and was able to su) and had no service. As the other topic mentioned, I came here and started on this part. Now, I have no service and all 3 of the above mentioned.

The other topic that walked me through the rooting process was VERY easy, but now I am stuck. I feel I am overlooking something, somewhere. Everything was looking very promising until I got to this post, then things went south.

What do I need to do now?

I have tried doing a factory reset on phone. No go. This is actually when I lost being able to dl from the market (computer to phone). I tried going through the rooting process again. No go. I've tried and tried to get # to work. No go. What am I doing wrong?

Any help will be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Never mind. I redid everything from the start all the way to getting service again. I now have a rooted 2.2.1 Optimus M.

I had to download a terminal.apk and use adb thing to install it. Then went through all the command line crap (typing is a pain on this phone). Rebooted using the vol down+home+power. It went straight to the locked screen. Call my home phone to see if I had service. Yup. Then went into terminal again and did an su. Got the # I was wanting.

Now to really start destroying the phone.

Thanks for all the info here

Upvote 0
dear OP lol
ok ok, so basically this didn't work for us on 2.2.1 because the kernel it was using was for the 2.2 people. NOW someone has tooken their time to port this for us 2.2.1 people, his name is joneidy,
(his post here)
http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...nally-custom-recovery-2-2-1-stock-phones.html

ok so NOW, im wondering can we see what can be done with the kernel, is there a possibility of an overclock kernel being made as there was with the 2.2 people? im mainly interested in the OC in hopes of seeing just how great the honeycomb music player could respond, it has its latency in response to commands even at full 600mhz.

can you get us any information on this plz? any attempts? so on so forth?

Reactions: vigos
Upvote 0
I am formatting this message for clarity.

Custom Recovery Instillation Problems

mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

Gives me the following response on 2.2:

failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory

What does this mean? I'm proceeding anyway. Wish me luck.

After Installation

I got a E: bad boot message "

I did nandroid backup, np.

I am going to flash Rom Zero Now...

Upvote 0
reilus - make sure when you are inputting the commands via adb that your phone is no longer in MASS STORAGE mode. you put it in mass storage mode to place the two image files on the sd card, then unmount the sd card. so now your phone is still connected via usb and still in usb debugging mode. then run the commands from adb shell and you shouldn't have the "no such file" error anymore.
that's what worked for me anyway. hope it helps you too.

Upvote 0
This has got to be the most confusing thing ever...su shell...su...can some one give some concrete solutions......it's a lot of info here that does not work......it's says you can do from phone...yet no one says anything about ...read privileges...can you do this from the terminal on phone or not.....if so can someone please put up the right information...thanx...keeps saying read only file....cannot create system directory...can someone point me in the right direction....

Upvote 0
Please No hot-linking the downloads or crossposting to these files. I have gotten less than $50 for making recoveries for the entire optimus lineup. That includes Vortex, Opt S, Opt M, Opt P500, Opt P509, Opt V. Please instead link to this thread for your users. Many people had indicated a wish to donate but didn't know how due to the hotlinking of uploads and no credit given.

Lets start the custom roms!!

393512721.jpg

To use download & unzip & copy flash_image and recovery-thunderc-m-v1.2.0-GNM.img to the root of your sdcard.

To flash: via adb shell or terminal type this from root # su shell (Do not type the # its for reference)

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# flash_image [B][COLOR=black]recovery[/COLOR][/B] /sdcard/recovery-thunderc-m-v1.2.0-GNM.img
Trouble shooting
1. If you get an out of memory error reboot device and do it on a fresh reboot.
2. If you get a file not found on the "mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak" skip it and move to the next step as this file will not be in your rom unless it has recieved an ota-update and if so needs to be disabled.

Key combo to boot custom recovery from powered off is Vol down+ Home +Power and release at LG Logo or use adb reboot recovery from adb shell.

Recovery Features:

ADB as root user

USB-MS Toggle :mounts sdcard as mass storage

Backup/Restore:
Nand Backup : runs a nandroid backup of data, cache, boot, system
Nand Backup + .android secure : backs up above plus .android_secure on sdcard (froyo native apps on sd)
Nand + ext backup : data, cache, system, boot, plus apps2sd on ext partition (old style apps2sd)
Nand Restore : browse to and select nandroid backup to restore

Flash Zip From Sdcard: Update.zip must be in root of sdcard or you can directory browse.
Toggle Signature Verify : Turn of signature checking on flashing zips

Wipe Menu:
Wipe data/factory reset: wipes data & cache
Wipe cache
Wipe Dalvik cache : Wipes Dalvik cache in all possible locations if moved by apps2sd
Wipe SD:ext : Wipes Apps2sd ext partition
Wipe Battery Stats
Wipe rotate settings
Wipe .android secure : Wipes froyo native .android_secure on sdcard

Partition Sdcard:
Partition SD: Partition's sdcard for apps2sd (this formats card so all non backed-up data is lost)
Repair Sd:ext
SD:ext2 to ext3 : coverts apps2sd ext2 partition to ext3 (requires kernel support for ext3)
SD:ext3 to ext4 : same as above but ext3 to ext4 (requires kernel support for ext4)

Mounts:
Gui mounts to avoid typing in terminal to mount and cd into a dir to mount system, data, cache, sd-ext (if exists), sdcard

Other:
Fix apk uid mismatches
Move recovery log to SD
Key Test : Output keycodes for debugging recovery

Note this recovery and the one for Optimus One P500 have a service that instantly reboots out of recovery once you load it & I disabled it and thats why you get a E: "Bad Boot Message" on inital startup. Its completely fine.

Recovery Key mapping:
Up & down : vol-up and vol-down
Select : Menu
Backup : Back

Thanks to :
Amon_Ra for his awesome source and a few pointers. His original Source Link Buy him a redbull
Koush for a few items we kanged like directory browsing from clockwork mod.
Worstenbrood's desire recovery Link
Andyo70 for testing

Donators Thank You List:
Andyo70 $15

Donation link to Buy me an Energy Drink is below:

Changelog:

1.2.0: Added ext4 support via custom kernel and packaged for release.

recovery-thunderc-m-v1.2.0-GNM.img.zip
md5= 4611fe8f62315c9661261707cc20d8b8

DO NOT FLASH RADIO.IMG WITH RECOVERY!!!!!

did everything down to a T. Now when I get to the recovery menu the only button that works is the UP volume button and it scrolls me through the menu but no other button works. I can scroll down but not back up. Cannot select anything on the menu. Any reason this is happening?

Will donate once this actually works properly for my phone. Thanks.

Upvote 0
n00b in training, with a question.
Rooted my phone following http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/291343-hd-video-root-optimus-m-2-2-1-a.html
I also installed AnReboot but when I chose Recovery Reboot, I saw the open box with the droid splash screen but never got the Recovery Menu.
Once the phone finished booting up I was greeted with a stock phone, although it was still rooted.
Luckily, I was able to use Titanium Backup to restore my apps and data.

What did I do wrong?

Upvote 0
jabbawest - if your phone came stock with 2.2.1 (not 2.2 then upgraded to 2.2.1) you need to use a different custom recovery found [URL="http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/300581-finally-custom-recovery-2-2-1-stock-phones.html"]Finally Custom Recovery for 2.2.1 stock phones !!!!!![/URL] by joneidy.

Notice the difference in the custom recovery screens (from little android guy to some crazy graffiti/tattoo design).

Also, when inputting the commands in adb, be sure that you take your phone out of USB mass storage mode (you only enable this to put the image files on your sd card). Hope this helps.

btw - if you need more instruction not in video form, go to joneidy's thread Root 2.2.1 and get Data WORKING!!!

good luck!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones