• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom recovery on x!!!!!!!

Yes, I gathered that. To be more specific, how is that different from the normal process for say, the droid? Are there still limitations to what can be done with the X due to the locked bootloader?

Just trying to learn something.

So it could potentially be the same recovery as the Droid i.e ClockworkMOD
So it would be the same process. I am guessing he had to first bypass the locked bootlaoder and then install his own. It all depends on how "robust" of a recovery we can make that would determine making nandroids and restoring system images(froyo)

Reactions: Chemist Errant
Upvote 0
It has been very bright and sunny here lately, which makes for some very uncomfortable triple digit heat. Thankfully, it seems that Birdman's powers are at their peak, so it's not all bad.

More seriously, this will probably cause the official Froyo to be released significantly sooner. Motorola & Verizon need to fix the root exploit and release the locked-down 2.2 before a custom 2.2 is available if they even want to have the delusion of closing Pandora's Box. IIRC, the bootloader can be configured to disallow downgrades, so signed 2.2 -> signed 2.1 -> rooted 2.1 might not be allowed, trapping some people on unrooted 2.2 for a while.

Upvote 0
It has been very bright and sunny here lately, which makes for some very uncomfortable triple digit heat. Thankfully, it seems that Birdman's powers are at their peak, so it's not all bad.

More seriously, this will probably cause the official Froyo to be released significantly sooner. Motorola & Verizon need to fix the root exploit and release the locked-down 2.2 before a custom 2.2 is available if they even want to have the delusion of closing Pandora's Box. IIRC, the bootloader can be configured to disallow downgrades, so signed 2.2 -> signed 2.1 -> rooted 2.1 might not be allowed, trapping some people on unrooted 2.2 for a while.

But the .sbf should be able to get around all of that, it just completely reflashes the phone. I think it would still be able to flash the bootloader.

Upvote 0
But the .sbf should be able to get around all of that, it just completely reflashes the phone. I think it would still be able to flash the bootloader.

That's the insidious part. The bootloader is used to perform those flashes. It can reject the image ("ROM") if it fails any of a number of conditions. We already know that one of the conditions is that the image's hash is signed by Motorola. The bootloader is also known to check the kernel and firmware versions. It might very well refuse to downgrade the system image, the kernel, or the bootloader itself.

Upvote 0
That's the insidious part. The bootloader is used to perform those flashes. It can reject the image ("ROM") if it fails any of a number of conditions. We already know that one of the conditions is that the image's hash is signed by Motorola. The bootloader is also known to check the kernel and firmware versions. It might very well refuse to downgrade the system image, the kernel, or the bootloader itself.

Possible if they use efuse the way microsoft did with the xbox360... i want a Star Trek scanner, and they, even the big G want to give us a friggin disneyphone... they don't even give us space mountain... we get pirates of the caribbean, with them raiding our pockets... still love my X tho... we fell in love at first sight... she even cooks me breakfast...

Get me out of this dream, free my bootloader!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones