• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Recovery Optimus V

Status
Not open for further replies.
any particular reason my phone would NOT have the install-recovery.sh file? this is the file that restores stock recovery after a reboot, right? (and possibly removes root?)

i just rooted using these instructions, and that's all i've done... i've searched everywhere with root explorer and can't find that file (or anyone like it) anywhere

Upvote 0
Hey another quick question...

I'm replacing my wife's OptV, and on her old one, I'm trying to revert everything back to stock, including the recovery. However I'm stuck. I can't get the phone to boot beyond thunderc... no matter what I do, when I power down, reboot, battery pull, etc. - it goes right back into thunderc.

How did I get here? Well, I uninstalled Superuser and did a factory data reset - forgetting about the custom recovery, like a dummy... It then booted into thunderc, wiped data/cache, and now I'm stuck. I've tried restoring a nandroid from another thread, but it didn't work. I have a recovery.img (supposedly stock) and flash_image on the sd card, but can't seem to get the right ADB code to work simply through thunderc (I'm no ADB expert, but semi-familiar).

I'm searching but no luck so far...

Upvote 0
In the "Flash zip from SDCard" menu, I can't seem to scroll the directory listing. I can move the selection bar up and down the list of presented directories, but I can't see directories past what is displayed initially. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

I'm having the exact same problem. I have rodimus.zip on the sd card but i can't scroll past all my music folders to get to it. seems to be a bug. will try with a different sd card that only has the rodimus.zip on it.

Upvote 0
I installed thunderc-v-1.2.0 for optimus v and flashed a couple of custom roms. No big issues. I finally went back to my first original nandoid backup I made right after flashing this recovery.

I was having issues with the data dropping constantly and so I went to the phone's normal android settings menu and under security told the phone to wipe all data. Not in your recovery under the normal android settings security menu, which I had used before I had rooted my phone and it worked fine.

Now the phone keeps on booting to the thunder optimus v 1.2 recovery. I tried flashing to a stock nandroid backup I found, it flashes but goes back to thunder rec. I flashed to the nandroid backup I had previously made and tested working previously, loop to thunder recovery. Everything keeps on going to the thunder boot recovery.

Can anyone help or recommend another thread to post in? I see other threads along the same line as my issue with no solutions other than to return the phone. My phone is over 30 days old so I am screwed. Funny thing is I was basically running stock just wanted to remove the crapware installed and get access to my titanium backups from my old phone :(

I see some mention of the KDZ updater to unbrick but I don't believe there is an optimus v image available?

EDIT
I had a stock rom and when you wipe from the menu it must flip a flag on the bootloader or something. This Recovery dosn't flip that "Flag" to done after it has wiped in recovery. Thankfully this recovery has ADB and I just flashed a stock rom and manually pushed the stock recovery which stopped the boot loop. Not sure why there is a radio flash warning above and not a wipe warning.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I just bought the Optimus V from Virgin Mobile and love it. The problem I'm having is that when I went into the system recovery mode (Home-Vol Down-Power) it only gives me 4 options, reboot system now, apply sdcardupdate.zip, wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition. I dont have any option to back up to SD. Any ideas or options I've missed?

Thx

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, I just bought the Optimus V from Virgin Mobile and love it. The problem I'm having is that when I went into the system recovery mode (Home-Vol Down-Power) it only gives me 4 options, reboot system now, apply sdcardupdate.zip, wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache partition. I dont have any option to back up to SD. Any ideas or options I've missed?

Thx

I have the same issue. All I want to do is get cyanogenmod 7 on my optimus v, and I have all of the downloads, but I can't figure out how to get custom recovery

Upvote 0
Please No hot-linking the downloads or crossposting to these files. I have gotten less than $50 for making recoveries for the entire optimus lineup. That includes Vortex, Opt S, Opt M, Opt P500, Opt P509, Opt V. Please instead link to this thread for your users. Many people had indicated a wish to donate but didn't know how due to the hotlinking of uploads and no credit given.

Lets start the custom roms!!

393512721.jpg

To use copy flash_image and recovery-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM.img.zip (both unzipped) to the root of your sdcard.

To flash: via adb shell or terminal type this from root # shell

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# flash_image [B][COLOR=black]recovery[/COLOR][/B] /sdcard/ recovery-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM.img

# reboot recovery
Key combo to boot custom recovery from powered off is vol_down + home + power and release keys at LG splash.

Recovery Features:

ADB as root user

USB-MS Toggle :mounts sdcard as mass storage

Backup/Restore:
Nand Backup : runs a nandroid backup of data, cache, boot, system
Nand Backup + .android secure : backs up above plus .android_secure on sdcard (froyo native apps on sd)
Nand + ext backup : data, cache, system, boot, plus apps2sd on ext partition (old style apps2sd)
Nand Restore : browse to and select nandroid backup to restore

Flash Zip From Sdcard: Update.zip must be in root of sdcard or can browse directories. I recommend making a dir named custom_roms and placing stuff there.

Wipe Menu:
Wipe data/factory reset: wipes data & cache
Wipe cache
Wipe Dalvik cache : Wipes Dalvik cache in all possible locations if moved by apps2sd
Wipe SD:ext : Wipes Apps2sd ext partition
Wipe Battery Stats
Wipe rotate settings
Wipe .android secure : Wipes froyo native .android_secure on sdcard

Partition Sdcard:
Partition SD: Partition's sdcard for apps2sd (this formats card so all non backed-up data is lost)
Repair Sd:ext
SD:ext2 to ext3 : coverts apps2sd ext2 partition to ext3 (requires kernel support for ext3)
SD:ext3 to ext4 : same as above but ext3 to ext4 (requires kernel support for ext4)

Mounts:
Gui mounts to avoid typing in terminal to mount and cd into a dir to mount system, data, cache, sd-ext (if exists), sdcard

Other:
Fix apk uid mismatches
Move recovery log to SD
Toggle Signature Verify : Turn of signature checking on flashing zips
Key Test : Output keycodes for debugging recovery

Recovery Key mapping:
Up & down : vol-up and vol-down
Select : Menu
Backup : Back

Thanks to :
takehull for dumps & testing
Amon_Ra for his awesome source and a few pointers. His original Source Link Buy him a redbull
Worstenbrood's desire recovery Link

Donators Thank You List:
takehull

Donation link to Buy me an Energy Drink is below:

Downloads:
recovery-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM.img
MD5= ffa2aca9331002318ed733484b60efa2
1.2.0 doesnt support ext3 or ext4 as kernel source is not out for optimus V

BRICK WARNING DO NOT FLASH A RADIO.IMG WITH RECOVERY

My Github Source Link

My android has died, when the installation finished, when reboot starts:
I was waiting arround 30 minutes and dont anything, now i can't acces in recovery mode nethier OS.

HELP! :eek:

Upvote 0
I've rooted my phone. Super User says its all fine, no errors. So know I'm trying to get this new ROM to overclock but every time I try to follow these instructions it either says flash_image is a read only file when I try to use the terminal emulator or if I use cmd prompt it says permission denied....:mad:
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image I can't get past that. I have both files in the root directory of my sd card. I don't know where to go from here??? If you could give me any suggestions I would really appreciate it :)

Upvote 0
I've rooted my phone. Super User says its all fine, no errors. So know I'm trying to get this new ROM to overclock but every time I try to follow these instructions it either says flash_image is a read only file when I try to use the terminal emulator or if I use cmd prompt it says permission denied....:mad:
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image I can't get past that. I have both files in the root directory of my sd card. I don't know where to go from here??? If you could give me any suggestions I would really appreciate it :)

Updated directions

Reactions: kane0187
Upvote 0
Thank you for the quick response but I'm still having the same issues. With terminal and from cmd prompt(Using superoneclick to gain access hope thats what I'm supposed to use) but when I put the commands in its still the same even when I try 'su'. The only way I can get past the first part was if I added a '.zip' to the end of flash_recovery but I'm assuming thats not right either lol because I get to where I got to flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM.img and I either get a syntax error or permission denied when I add the '.zip' to the end of flash_image. I'm stumped. When I use the terminal emulator and put in 'su' the phone notifies me that it got permission granted but doesn't do that from the comp.

Upvote 0
Can u update the instructions and tell us how to do it starting ALL THE WAY from plugging the phone into your computer, I'm a noob and this is very confusing the CMD doesn''t find anything you tell me to type in! :(

This... I am in the exact same boat as this guy. I can't get it to do what the instructions say from the terminal. I don't know what directories I should be started from, whether or not the phone should be in debugging mode or storage. Need some more concise step-by-step please.

Upvote 0
export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ $su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
#cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: invalid length
#

This is what I get. Any suggestions? I have the flash_image unzipped that I extacted and same for the recovery file. I use terminal emulator on The optimus V. Please help, I don't know what this means.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones