1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support custom ringtone keeps going silent?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by misscharat, May 4, 2011.

1. misscharat

misscharat Lurker
    None

May 4, 2011
    So.. I put in a custom ringtone and it works awesome for couple of days then out of no where the ringtone just stops working and when I get a call my ringtone doesn't play (as if it didn't exist) and I miss important calls because of this.. any idea what could be causing this issue?
    If not.. I will just have to go back to one of the ringtones that came with the phone.. (poop!)

/edit
    Okay so I originally had installed the ringtone by connecting my phone to my computer then just creating a folder called "ringtones" and put it in there.. I have just found another website that said to open the folder "media" and create a folder called "audio" then another folder inside that as "ringtones" and put the ringtone in there.. I did so and deleted the original ringtones folder, would this solve my issues.. just having the ringtone in a different place?

Advertisement

2. zilla19

zilla19 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    Was your custom ringtone on the SD card? If so, whenever you take off the removable SD card, the phone will only vibrate if you originally set it to vibrate with the ringtone, otherwise it will stay silent. You then have to go into Settings>Sound and select a new ringtone. I think if you put your custom ringtone on the internal memory will solve this problem.

3. misscharat

misscharat Lurker
    None

May 4, 2011
    Thank you for the input.. I do have the ringtone on my SD card but I do not ever remove it.. how would I go about moving my ringtone onto my phones memory?

4. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert

Jan 24, 2011
    It does need the audio folder. Then you have to set up your contact, save it, go back and edit fully. You should be able to see the ringtones then.

I've had the same card thru at least 4/5 different phones, and must have about the same number of copies of the ringtones on the card. Since I use MID, this is no problem as a 4 minute MID can be as small as 17K. Any MP3s I've used have been cut to 30 sec.

I used a MID file for a messaging ringtone, and it played the whole damn song - all 3 minutes of it!

5. zilla19

zilla19 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 30, 2011
    You don't necessarily have to take off the SD card for the phone to not detect the card. I dropped my phone several times and on a few occasions when I picked it up, it says something to the effect of SD card is not detected.

I also have custom ringtone on my phone but it's not on any special folder and it works fine.

The easiest way to me is connect your phone to the computer and move the ringtone(s) file from your SD card to the phone's internal memory. Your computer should auto detect the 2 memory drives after you plugged it in with a pop up window asking you what you want to do. If it doesn't do that, open up (My) Computer and they will be 2 of the drives in there.

Alternatively, you could search for your custom ringtone(s) in your phone's directory in the file app and then select move or cut and paste it into the internal memory directory.