• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Custom Ringtones, Alarms, Notifications

kenn

Android Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2010
I looked around and couldn't seem to find the information I was seeking in one place but found it on various forums. I thought I would put it here in case others need it or are looking for it.

I was trying to add custom mp3 tones to my alarm clock, gmail, sms, etc., but I couldn't get the phone to recognize anything. In the end this is what I did to make it work:

I plugged the phone into my PC using the "usb storage device" option upon connection.

I created a folder in the root directory called Tones (probably anything will work as a name) and then created 3 folders inside called Ringtones, Notifications, and Alarms. Anything in those folders will show up only in that app.

In other words, if you want a custom Alarm, you will need an Alarms folder and an mp3 or two. If you have a custom ringtone, you will need to put it in the Ringtones folder and so on.

I got a bunch from the Zedge website but I've made a few of my own such as Halo Chant among others.

Hope this helps somebody.

after loading mp3's onto my phone for use as just music, i was then able to use the app ringdroid to create my own ringtones from any mp3 and save them as either a another music file, alarm, notification, or ringtone. seems a lot easier than creating different folders. also with ringdroid you can decide how much time of the mp3 file you want to use when set as something else.

Reactions: MG McAnick
Upvote 0
Thanks, Der

I knew about ringdroid, and that's a good option, but I've got so many apps running now I'm hesitant to add any more that modify the way the phone works, if possible. I'm hoping to not become too hooked on 3rd party apps until AFTER Froyo....

Upvote 0
I created a folder in the root directory called Tones (probably anything will work as a name) and then created 3 folders inside called Ringtones, Notifications, and Alarms. Anything in those folders will show up only in that app.

In other words, if you want a custom Alarm, you will need an Alarms folder and an mp3 or two. If you have a custom ringtone, you will need to put it in the Ringtones folder and so on.

That helped me a ton, thanks a million. I had a nice guy send me HTC tones that I want on my Droid X. Happy camper now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones