• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Custom Ringtones for Exchange Server Contacts

sdscott23

Lurker
Jul 19, 2010
Ok, so I am trying to set custom ringtones for my contacts. The guy at the Sprint store set up my email to sync with the exchange server. This included my calendar, email, and contacts. The contacts are classified as "Corporate" in the phone. I tried to follow the instructions I found online to set a custom ringtone for each contact but it is not there. If I add a seperate contact that is not in the "corporate" group, just on my phone... the instructions work. I am really really frustrated with this. Is there an app or a way to fix this problem? I would love any suggestions! Thanks!

:thinking: To answer you question, no you cannot add custom ring tones to Corporate contacts.

But, as my old man always said, "If all else fails, cheat." :D

So, assuming you don't want a custom ring tone for all 6,392 of your contacts, but rather for a limited number, what you need to do is:

Create a new contact
Save Contact to - Phone
Name the Contact the same as your "Corporate" contact.
Go to Ringtone and set your ringtone

If you have hit save before you changed ring tone
If the contacts did not have the exact same name when you typed in the new one, use the "Link Contact" option from Edit on the main contact screen.
Edit the contact
Choose type Phone at top of screen
Modify Ringtone

BINGO - You have custom ringtones for Corporate Contacts.

Not the quickest or nicest way to solve it, but it does work. I have tested it.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones