1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Custom ROM - better to wait until official ICS release?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tonitz, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Tonitz

Tonitz Newbie

So I've been looking into loading a custom ROM (right now I've just got a stock rooted EL29 ROM). I'm not necessarily in a big rush, as I'd prefer something nice and stable that I won't have to tinker with much.

I've looked around over at XDA and found quite a few based off ICS, but I'm wondering if better ROMs will be released after the official ICS release for the E4GT comes out. I don't have a great understanding about how the development end of things works, but can we assume much better ROMs based on ICS will come out once devs have the official release to work with?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast

Most of the roms built off of the ics builds are pretty stable. Some are experiencing GPS issues and some are running into exchange email issues too but both have fixes to them. Ics will become even more stable once source drops. Hope this helps some.

3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

I really don't have any problems with CM9 ROM. I love it and couldn't imagine having Touchwiz or anything less than ICS on this phone again!

4. Wiskid

Wiskid Well-Known Member

Right meow, the biggest issue with CM9 Alpha 3 is battery life. It lasts me all day, but I use Airplane mode at work (can't get a signal in my "dungeon" office.) Other than that, it's great and ready to be a daily driver.

I have yet to run into any major bug which would deter someone from using CM9A3. A simple remedy for the battery issue is a car charger and a USB cable for the office. I would assume that once there is an official release, CM9 is going to be THE ROM to have (I've tried all the rest, AOKP, Blend, Calk's) and CM9 is by far the most stable.

Hope this helps.

5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

I use my extended battery and I'm usually fine for a day. If I have a really long or boring shift at work I have an extra extended battery (both 3800mAh, $10 a piece on ebay)

I want the best ROM regardless of battery life personally which is CM9

6. Wiskid

Wiskid Well-Known Member

I totally agree. CM9 is current the Cadillac.

chrlswltrs likes this.

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Forum

The Samsung Epic 4G Touch release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.52" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1800mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews