1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Custom ROM, can't update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by schnln01, May 18, 2011.

1. schnln01

schnln01 Lurker

Probably a stupid question from someone who is smart phone stupid, but on my Eris it says under system updates that it is a custom ROM and that updates are disabled. The phone was a gift, purchased used on Ebay, so I'm not sure what this means or if it is a bad thing. Is there a way to fix it so it can update if it needs to? Or is it best left alone since I barely know how to use the phone anyway? :eek:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

It is definitely a good thing. What this means is that if HTC and Verizon come out with an over-the-air delivered update to the stock ROM, since you are running a custom ROM you do *not* want the patch to install on your phone. It probably would not install successfully anyway, but...

For a custom ROM, you would generally need to download the full ROM zip file and install it manually. If you are having issues with your phone, yes, there may be a way to fix it. It may help if you say exactly which custom ROM that you have. You may find a name in settings->about phone. It may be under "software information". There should be a name in something that resembles English, rather than a bunch of numbers, somewhere.

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews