1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Custom ROM "Stock Apps"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JaydeEvo, Apr 14, 2012.

1. JaydeEvo

JaydeEvo Well-Known Member

I am currently running CM9 on my Epic Touch. My question is that I prefer to use my own apps rather than the "stock" apps on the device. Can I uninstall the "stock" apps so I don't have duplicate apps on my device.

I.E.
    Uninstall "Messanger" to have only Handcent
    Uninstall "Browser" to only have Boat Browser
    Uninstall "Music Player" to only have DoubleTwist

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Ronny71

Ronny71 Well-Known Member

I think you can just go into messenger and unclick auto retrieve messages and unclick notifications...Thats what I do with mine...I use Go Messenger...

When you install Boat Browser and you click on Internet ...box will pop up and choose Boat Browser as default...

Think you can do the same when playing music...I'm sure it will give you a choice then make the one you want as default...:cool:

3. JaydeEvo

JaydeEvo Well-Known Member

I know how to set default apps for specific functions but I don't want to have them on my phone at all. What's the point of having two messangers installed on the device? Or two music players?

4. Ronny71

Ronny71 Well-Known Member

I'm sure you can Uninstall...Im sure they're listed in your App Drawer...Why don't you just back them up (With Titanium) and then uninstall...just in case you ever have to reinstall them they are there...:cool:

5. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast

With the browser you have to be careful because most browsers "piggy backs" off of it. In other words it just changes the browsers UI. Opera and maybe dolphin are the only two that comes to mind that are stand alone browsers. So use titanium, rom toolbox or similar app to backup it before you delete it.

6. bigtoysrock

bigtoysrock Well-Known Member

The only one you should really uninstall is music player. Like it was said that some apps need the other to work. MMS stock has to stay for sure.

7. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

I would recommend you "freeze" the apps you don't want using Titanium Backup. Music is safe to get rid of though.

You can't remove or freeze the default messaging app if you want MMS to work properly. I use GoSMS and just turn off notifications in the stock one.

I also recommend you try Nova launcher. With that you can hide all of the icons in your app drawer that you don't want there. That is what I do with a lot since most of my apps are in folders on my home screens. I'm running CM9 also

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Forum

The Samsung Epic 4G Touch release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.52" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1800mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews