• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom ROM

mm1983

Lurker
Jul 29, 2010
I have a noob question about ROMs. I have rooted my phone and "Pimped my captivate". If I now flash a new ROM what would that do to the following:
1. Apps - Would my apps be replaced by apps from the ROM, which means I will loose and gain some apps.
2. Contacts - Would I have to resync my phone to get my contacts.
3. Rooting: Would I have to reroot and again "Pimp my captivate".

Thanks.

-mm

I have a noob question about ROMs. I have rooted my phone and "Pimped my captivate". If I now flash a new ROM what would that do to the following:
1. Apps - Would my apps be replaced by apps from the ROM, which means I will loose and gain some apps.

Thanks.

-mm

If you flash a ROM through ClockworkMod, you can overwrite the previous ROM which means you won't lose any apps, contacts, and root as long as it's in that ROM you're flashing. In order to find out, try and find "Superuser.apk" under apps in the ROM and "busybox" under xbin. Root is generally found in custom ROMs. Now if it's a ROM downloaded from somewhere like samsung-firmwares.com, you may lose root and apps if you flash those. Just be mindful of that.

Also just a quick hint.....normally when flashing a new ROM devs recommend you wipe your phone before you flash a new ROM so they don't conflict with each other. In doing this you will lose the apps you downloaded and you'll have to re-sync your contacts.

Reactions: mm1983
Upvote 0

Thanks.

-mm

I installed a custom Rom and didn't loose anything, still had my contacts. If you wipe it clean no worries, your rooted and using Titanium Backup, do yourself a favor get the donated version, back up with Titanium BEFORE you flash a new ROM and after you reboot you will need to reinstall Titanium, you will be able to restore your data and info, your contacts will still be there after you do a restore with Titanium, it worked for me. Your apps will be there too you may have to reinstall them but they will be there.

Here's the link to Titanium's instructions.
Titanium Backup Documentation

Good Luck.

Reactions: mm1983
Upvote 0
I installed a custom Rom and didn't loose anything, still had my contacts. If you wipe it clean no worries, your rooted and using Titanium Backup, do yourself a favor get the donated version, back up with Titanium BEFORE you flash a new ROM and after you reboot you will need to reinstall Titanium, you will be able to restore your data and info, your contacts will still be there after you do a restore with Titanium, it worked for me. Your apps will be there too you may have to reinstall them but they will be there.

Here's the link to Titanium's instructions.
Titanium Backup Documentation

Good Luck.

What ROM did you install? I thought there weren't any custom ROMs for the Captivate yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones