1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root custom ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by InGearX, Sep 18, 2011.

1. InGearX

InGearX Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    I'm no0b so some simple questions:

#1 Custom ROM and root are the same things?

#2 on Verizon - phone (droid 3) is not accessible - until it's activated and I think it dials some US number (*228?) in the background... (please see this - http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/390003-help-how-image-clone-current-state.html#post3044560 ) if I'm outside of USA, I'm not sure if it can still activate itself - do you think it can?

well if it can't idea is for me to put a "custom ROM that removes the activation" (as per this post - http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/390003-help-how-image-clone-current-state.html#post3220352 ) but will I be able to do that if the phone is not activated?

Thank you...

Advertisement

2. bryan847

bryan847 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 27, 2011
    U.S
    Okay well i will sart with your first question... Rooting is the process of making yourself the superuser on the device, it gives you full control over all of your phones abilities, you can delete crapware, and even overclock some phones... Custom rom is an edited version of the software your phone has, it is deaigned to be easier or more fun to use, flashing a custom rom to your device is something you can only do when your rooted... So to answer your question they are not the same thing...

As for your second question, the activation is the way your phone gets setup with verizon... So if skipping the activation was possible, which its not, you would have no service anyways... plus in order to root your phone you need to access settings which you have to get into it to do... Hope that helped... As for getting your phone to work outside the us (i dont know why it wouldnt work), you r gonna have to wait for one of the devs to reply...

3. DeadChex

DeadChex Member
    None

Sep 11, 2011
    Outside the us i belive you SIM must be activated (contact verizion and ect ect). Then you can be put on the street with the high rates. So... it seems you need to activate within the us, then go out. As i dont think verizion has towers in other countries. (Just guessing there)

According to google, you can NOT activate outside the us without doing it manualy (ive never seen or heard of any way or method to do this)

Bypassing activation is useless, you have no cellular ability without it (phone calls, texts 3g, ect).