1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Custom ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by peachy125, Apr 15, 2012.

1. peachy125

peachy125 Member

Hi all, i recently found that my Desire has a custom ROM and there are certain things missing like the option for updates etc. Is there anything i can do to revert back to how it was from new? And does having a custom ROM mean it has been rooted?

Any help would be much appreciated, Martin.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Hey Martin... if your phone has a custom ROM on it, then it has been rooted. There is a way to get your phone back to stock (unrooted), so you can get updates if you want, or you could look at putting more custom ROM's on there.

Just to check - is your phone a Desire or a Desire HD? I ask, as I want to be sure to give you the right info/links if it is not for the Desire HD :)

3. peachy125

peachy125 Member

Hi, and thanks for your reply. My phone is the Desire HD. I would like to put it back to stock and then maybe look at learning all about rooting myself at some point. If i don't ever get that far i guess there is always ICS later in the year when it comes out.

Thanks, Martin.

4. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Was the phone rooted when you got it? Do you know if it was carrier branded before it was rooted?

5. peachy125

peachy125 Member

Yes it was rooted when i bought it and i honestly dont know if it was carrier branded i'm sorry.

6. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Right... not a problem... just want to work out if it has super CID (CID = Carrier ID), in order to suggest the correct RUU to run to get it back to stock.

Would you mind downloading CID Getter from the market, running it and letting me know what it says your CID is?

Cheers :)

peachy125 likes this.
  7. peachy125

peachy125 Member

If it's the number at the top in red brackets, then it is [CID is]:[H3G_001]

8. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Just to let you know Peachy125, that is the info I needed. I will have to have a quick look for some info for you and come back to you when I am back home this evening! :)

9. peachy125

peachy125 Member

Ok that will be great, thanks very much for your help on this.

Martin.

10. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Have not been able to locate a branded RUU... I am going to keep looking and will come back to you ASAP.

There is another possibility, but I will try to find the RUU first :)

11. peachy125

peachy125 Member

Ok no problem, thanks again :)

12. peachy125

peachy125 Member

Does the RUU have to be branded? Does it mean i will have to unlock the phone so i can use my o2 simcard and can you tell who the carrier is by the info i gave you?

Cheers, Martin.

13. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

I think that, due to the CID (Carrier ID) of your phone, that you cannot just flash an unbranded RUU... I don't think the phone would accept it!

I had more of a look last night and couldn't find the correct RUU.

There is a tool that can be used to change the CID on your phone to SUPER CID (which means that you would be able to flash your phone with ANY RUU). I will have a look for this a little later (am in work and have training today, so will probably have to sort it this evening).

Once you have changed the CID on your phone, you would then be able to flash the latest, unbranded, RUU... you would be completely back to stock, non-rooted... you would be able to receieve updates OTA, direct from HTC (rather than from a carrier, with bloatware on).

14. peachy125

peachy125 Member

Brilliant! That sounds good to me, thanks.

Martin.

15. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Martin - could you let me have the info about your phone?

If you press "menu=>settings=>about phone" and give all details (baseband, kernel, etc)... just want to make sure I give you the right info :)

16. peachy125

peachy125 Member

Android version 2.3.5
    HT Sense version 3.0
    Software number :- Android revolution HD 6.3.2 by Mike1986
    Kernel version:-2.6.35 14-RCMIX3D-ACS-ACE-NCR-V11.1-ge213fe7-dirtyken@klquicksall #12
    Baseband version:-12.56.60.25U_26.10.04.03_M
    Build number:-3.12.405.1 CL199157 release-keys
    Browser version:-WebKit/533.1

I think that is everything. Cheers, Martin.

17. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Thanks Martin... I will get this double checked and then advise.

Will probably be this evening though :)

18. peachy125

peachy125 Member

That's great, thanks very much.

19. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Right... the radio that you currently have on your phone is not compatible with the tool I was mentioning. This isn't actually too much of a problem, but means that there is a little more work involved in getting there.

What you would need to do is create a goldcard (this is done using an SD card and tricks the phone in to thinking that it has a different CID than it actually does). Once you have the goldcard, you would need to flash an older RUU on to your phone, which is rootable using visionary. You would need to get temp and then perm root on your phone with visionary (it is a one click app that you put on your phone). This would then let you use the CID tool I was talking about in an earlier post to get the HTC CID, before running the most up to date RUU to put your phone back to stock, unbranded.

I realize that all of this sounds a little complicated, but it is a lot easier than you'd think!! :)

I will locate the various things you need and put them in another post to follow :)

El Presidente likes this.
  20. peachy125

peachy125 Member

Wow it does all sound a little complicated but i will stick closely to your instructions and once again thankyou for all your efforts on this, very much appreciated.
    Martin.

21. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

I just spent about 25/30 mins writing stuff and putting links and then (stupidly) managed to close the session I had been working in! :(

I now do not have time to write it all again... am about to leave mine in about 5-10 mins... will have to come back to you again tomorrow... really sorry mate (am not best pleased that I've just lost all that)!

Sorry this is taking so long to get sorted!!

peachy125 likes this.
  22. peachy125

peachy125 Member

No way, bet you were gutted! It's no problem im not in any rush at all im just really thankful for your help. Speak to you soon, Martin.

D-U-R-X likes this.
  23. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

All a little hazy, as I've not had to do anything like this in a long time, but I think that this should cover what you would have to do

I will see if I can get another staffer to have a quick look over this and confirm :)

peachy125 and El Presidente like this.
  24. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

You are good to go Martin... I've been told that my memory's not as bad as I think ;)

peachy125 likes this.
  25. peachy125

peachy125 Member

Brilliant! And very much appreciated too! I will get to work on this as soon as i get chance and then get back to you to let you know how i got on Thankyou so much for your time on this. Martin.

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews