• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Custom ROMS and unlocked Milestone on Canadian network - no service?

beflythis

Mar 29, 2010
Hi crew,

I purchased my milestone in the UAE, and have been using it with du and etisalat telecom cos there; I was told when I purchased it that it was a factory unlocked UK milestone.

I've since installed the xda devs 'fast and lite' custom ROM (which works fine in the UAE), and upon trying SIM cards in Toronto on various networks, I get no service.

Bell & telus run on HSPA, and when they even scanned my phone's barcode, it said the phone wasn't compatible.

WHen I was roaming with my UAE sim in, I roamed with Rogers.. so it should work. However, the rogers sim also got no connection.

This would make me think my phone is locked, although it should be factory unlcoked - and the kicker is that I don't get that standard "enter unlock code" popup you normally get if/when the phone is actually locked.

Is it the custom ROM that's killing compatibility? i was thinking i'd nandroid backup and flash the default firmware to test.

please advise!! any and all help/comments welcome. (yes the device is rooted).

beflythis

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones