• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root custom roms vs MS90zv7

SarelFox

Lurker
May 9, 2011
Unfortunately I've tried almost every custom rom that I could manage and not solved my freezing issue. They're great roms; I love them to death, the interface changes and the ability to over/underclock my phone to change the speed, A2SD, everything I could do was grand. But I was still getting crashes/freezes and the occasional reboot. Then I got MS90zv7 via the update system and it stopped freezing.

I hate it.

But I just love it not freezing. I miss A2SD, etc, and I was wondering if there was any way to tell exactly what MS90zv7 did in order to stop the freezing so I can do that on a custom rom. I miss my cyanogen. D:

The topic is the v7. It stopped the reboots and is unrootable. No recovery or roms is made yet. Anywho, it changed some certain items in the kernel. Which stopped rebooting. However, some phones came with 2.2.2 out of the box. So then people downgraded and said they never had a reboot issue. If you had the phone before the time of June then you are mostly likely to have had the 2.2.1 stock on it.
You also had an upgraded kernel version. And some kernels seem to be tweaked differently. Just like how all phones arent the same :D

Upvote 0
It sucks. Stable and stock, or customization and a reboot problem...

As for pulling the kernel, I couldn't even begin to tell ya how to do that. But I'd be willing to have that kernel, even at stock speeds, if it fixes the reboot problem. (Assuming its a kernel that fixed the problem. I'm more inclined to believe the update had some type of firmware that it installs also that fixes the problem. I can't confirm that though.)

Upvote 0
I ha e done the 2.2.2 v7 update from LG and confirmed that it fixed the freeze/reboot problem. Downgrading back to 2.2.1 as I did will have your phone freezing and rebooting like it used to. :(

thanks for taking one for the team. I'm about to give up my pretty, pretty Cyanogen, because I've never been able to get rid of the freezing. However LG's website seems to be pooping out.

Upvote 0
thanks for taking one for the team. I'm about to give up my pretty, pretty Cyanogen, because I've never been able to get rid of the freezing. However LG's website seems to be pooping out.

My phone freezes and reboots at least three times a week. Usually fixing permissions and app uid mismatches helps keep it at bay. Also, reboot once in a while. Seems to help.

I only did the update just to see if it fixed the problem. I tried to root it, but couldn't. Once I saw that it couldn't be rooted, I knew it wasn't staying lol

I had hoped the update might have fixed the issue even if you downgrade, but no luck. :(

Upvote 0
well.. this is what we can do then.. get the v7 image, extract the kernel from it, downgrade your phone, root it, flash your favorite rom, and flash the kernel from lg.. wont be able to overclock.. prob wont be able to a2sd either.. but your phone wont reboot

Never extracted a kernel from a ROM. Never flashed a kernel. I can live without a2sd, having a 32gb SD card.

What you say sounds great, but I don't even know how to begin that lol

Upvote 0
well i extracted the recovery.img from the stock rom, if you updated your phone to 2.2.2 and then did a adb cat pull you may be able to extract the kernel from the image, you will need to figure out what mtd it is, and there are a few commands to run, but it would probably be doable.. i cant remember what the commands are exactly,, but you should be able to find them with a quick search, and there is a thread here, the umm.. this post here has the boot partition info http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...cial-cm7-port-inquire-within.html#post2968944
like i said jot sure fo the commands.. but i found them very easliy before you would want to make an image iof the boot partition, and then open it up in the android kitchen and extract the kernel zImage from it, and then figure out a way to make it flashable.. reppard may be able to help with that part of it

Upvote 0
I understood about 20% of that lol. I'm about weeks old to this Android stuff, and don't really get a lot of the jargon. I know Linux, which helps with a lot of the basics, but the last extremely technical crap I pulled with it was recompiling kernel headers for Fedora Core 7 on a Pentium 3 with a picky version of the Dazzle PCI IDE expansion card.

In other words, I'm at you devs mercy, until my ADHD brain gets the time to really sit down and have a whack at it.

Upvote 0
lol, its not really that bad.. take more time to set everything up to do it than to actually do it lol.. but i hear ya there lol.. wasnt long ago i was waiting for the next rom to come out lol

As far as setting Linux up, that's no problem. I've got an Intel quad core and am tri-booting Windows 7/Slackware/OSX 10.7.2 just fine. Adding another OS and adding it to Chameleon is no problem.

But other than the link you just posted, that's the the extent of my Android knowledge. Just haven't broken down and spent time with it. If it was more like Linux, or Windows, where versions come out years apart. Not like OSX/Android where new builds come out every other month. I might be more interested lol

Reactions: tripdoc79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones