1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Custom sound for incoming messages/email

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Mastadex, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Mastadex

Mastadex Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Hello. First time poster.

I recently got an android phone and would like to add a custom sound for when I receive emails and text messages. I created the necessary directory structure on my SD card and plugged the tone into the Notifications folder. However, this sound gets played whenever any notification is raised. Is there a way to set a tone JUST for incoming messages and emails and not general notifications?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. sitlet

Apr 11, 2010
    Go into the settings in your email app. It will let you select a tone to use just for emails.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Your phone will use the default notification (settings>Sound>Notification ringtone) for every notification if there is no custom ringtone assigned. If you are using the default apps for messaging, open the app then go to menu>settings and make sure notifications is enabled. Right below that you can set a specific ringtone for messages only. For email you have to do it by account so open the email app and long-press the account and got to account settings. You'll see the notification ringtone halfway down the list. That way, if you have a POP3 business account and a personal Yahoo account (for example) you can have different tones assigned to each.

4. Mastadex

Mastadex Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ah I see. Thanks!