• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Custom trips / My maps

nickm

Lurker
Feb 19, 2010
I am at my wits end here. What seems like it would be such an easy thing to do has completely eluded me. All I want to do is create a custom route on Google Maps and then have the Maps app on my Droid navigate me along that route. Pretty simple, right? Not so much.

I thought I had something when I created a trip on my PC using Google Maps and saved it to My Maps. Then in the Maps app on my phone I selected the My Maps layer and I could see the route I had mapped out. Unfortunately I am unable to navigate along it. As soon as I select the destination and get driving directions, it reroutes me. For the life of me I can't figure out how to create a custom route and have my phone navigate me along that path.

Is it possible? Certainly seems like it should be. If someone has step by step instructions on how this can be done, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Nick.

Hi Nick,

I was trying to do the same thing before I saw your message. I entered my destination in Maps on a PC, dragged the route to go along the roads I wanted, then saved it to My Maps. When I tried to use load the route from My Maps and use it to Navigate on my Milestone, it just used the destination and worked out the route afresh.

Sorry, I've not found the answer yet. Maybe it can't be done just now. If not, hopefully Google will make it possible soon. It seems like such an obvious thing to want to do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones