• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Customized Ringtones on the Droid X

I have hundreds of customized music ringtones on my Itunes library. My question is will I be able to transfer them and use them on the Droid X ??

Yes, If you can not set them as ringtones but they will play on your droid X, just download ringdroid from the market. Convert the whole song to a ringtone using ringdroid.

Reactions: ftards
Upvote 0
I second this, one of the dumbest things they didn't include with the iPhone... Does anybody know if you can on the DX?

I am not (yet) an Android user until I get my new X this Thursday, but my understanding is that any sound notifications (text, email, status alerts, etc.) can be changed to any custom tone you want. I believe all you have to do is sync up to your PC and drag and drop your sound files into the correct notifications folder on your memory card and then just change your tones on your phone. I have a bunch of custom rintones and notification sounds that I'm using on my Blackberry now that I plan on transferring over to my X.

Upvote 0
How are you making the ringtones on your computer? I would love to be able to do that.

I use Cool Edit Pro, but there are some free audio editors out there (try Google). Clip about 30 seconds out of your favorite song. Save it as an MP3. Copy the file to your Android SD card into the media/ringtones folder. Save it to media/alarms to use as an alarm or media/notification for notifications.

Upvote 0
I use Cool Edit Pro, but there are some free audio editors out there (try Google). Clip about 30 seconds out of your favorite song. Save it as an MP3. Copy the file to your Android SD card into the media/ringtones folder. Save it to media/alarms to use as an alarm or media/notification for notifications.

Does it have to be an MP3 I was using the free version of Free Audio Editor which only lets you save as a wave... and the X didnt seem to like that very much..

Upvote 0
Myxer is an online site that lets you upload any MP3 and chop it up to use whatever parts you want for ringtones.

But has anyone figured out how to save them directly into the text ringtones on the Droid X? I just got mine and it has preset tones for text notifications, but allows custom ones for when the phone rings. If it were the other way around, that might not be so bad, but I do much more texting than calling. It seems a shame to go from a little Blackberry Pearl with this feature to this amazing new phone that doesn't have it automatically!
(Plus I can't gloat over my boyfriend about the lack of this in his iPhone anymore!)
Any ideas for a NEWB Android user?

* nevermind, I figured out how to do it. There is an app called aRing that can do it. It's very simple and just allows you to use your ring tones library to set your notification tones. Now if I could just figure out how to keep it from using that tone when I get emails, too (or how to get it to stop playing. I have my phone set on double tap to stop the ringer, but for some reason it doesn't).

Upvote 0
I can't do this!!! I tried to make new folders and drag some but when I go to edit my ringtones it just comes up the phone ring tone menu?? What the heck!!! I could assign different a ringtone for calls and text messages for each contact. What am I doing wrong?? Someone get me started. I understand to make the folders, but can someone start at square 1 after I connect to my PC? Something is not clicking in my mind and I am frustrated!!! Thank you so much:mad:

Upvote 0
You must create in the root directory of the SD Card these paths:
Media/Audio/Ringtones
Media/Audio/Notifications
Media/Audio/Alarms

Ringdroid will also do this for you...

Then just dump the MP3s you want in those respective folders. Too bad they don't explain this anywhere :)

The only notification sound you can't change to your own is the SD Card notification sound, because the system can't access the SD Card when it's mounting.

Upvote 0
You must create in the root directory of the SD Card these paths:
Media/Audio/Ringtones
Media/Audio/Notifications
Media/Audio/Alarms

Ringdroid will also do this for you...

Then just dump the MP3s you want in those respective folders. Too bad they don't explain this anywhere :)

The only notification sound you can't change to your own is the SD Card notification sound, because the system can't access the SD Card when it's mounting.

Thank you Thank You THANK YOU!!!

The $)(#**$UGVKOM#$O so called manual sucks and so does the motorola faq....

This is all I needed to know and I've been searching for it several times today!

Upvote 0
Same for me; created the folders, moved the files, still not visible in the ringtone list. Weird part is that I had them at one point, without having done the above, but I can't remember what I did. Just seemed to me like my Droid X was truly an alien; I'd set the ringtones, then unbeknownst to me I'd receive a call and it'd be my fiance's rt while she's sitting right next to me - yes, an odd situation the couple of times that has happened.

I'm having trouble figuring out the Android folder system, coming from a Windows Mobile device - still lots to learn. Back to the topic of this thread, what's missing in the picture?

Upvote 0
Same for me; created the folders, moved the files, still not visible in the ringtone list. Weird part is that I had them at one point, without having done the above, but I can't remember what I did. Just seemed to me like my Droid X was truly an alien; I'd set the ringtones, then unbeknownst to me I'd receive a call and it'd be my fiance's rt while she's sitting right next to me - yes, an odd situation the couple of times that has happened.

I'm having trouble figuring out the Android folder system, coming from a Windows Mobile device - still lots to learn. Back to the topic of this thread, what's missing in the picture?

i had the same f**cking problem. they all worked...and now they dont. and ive created a thread on here but no one chimed in..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones