• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps CustomView webview

mini139

Apr 9, 2013
Hi
I am tying to access webview with onTouchListener. But i am getting the warning

CustomView 'WebView' has setOnTouchLustner called on it but does not override performclick(). If a view that overrides OnTouchEvent or uses an OnTouchListener doesnot also implement performclick & call it when clicks are properly.Logic handling the click actions should ideally be place in view#performclick as some accessibility services invoke performclick when a click action should occur

Attachments

• err.png
    err.png
    263.7 KB · Views: 136
The key word in the warning is "accessibility." It means that blind people who rely on Android's accessibility features using voice instead of sight will not be able to access your function. If that is not important to you then you can ignore the warning. If it is important that blind people can use your app, then you probably need to read up on how Android provides the alternate access to these things, and then implement perform click as needed.

Upvote 0
The key word in the warning is "accessibility." It means that blind people who rely on Android's accessibility features using voice instead of sight will not be able to access your function. If that is not important to you then you can ignore the warning. If it is important that blind people can use your app, then you probably need to read up on how Android provides the alternate access to these things, and then implement perform click as needed.
Thanks for the reply. Can you please suggest any tutorial kind of, as i am struggling with this issue for more than a month. Or do you have any idea of how to implement perform click? If so please please help me with this.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I do not know the details of Android accessibility, although I am quite familiar with iPhone accessibility coding. And from that experience I can tell you that if you truly want to understand accessibility functions, you must first learn how to experience them as a user, not as a programmer. You must learn to close your eyes and by using the accessibility functions alone, open and use an existing app on your phone - something like the built-in Settings app. Learn how to select and operate buttons, sliders, lists, text fields and so on as if you are blind. Until you do that, I don't think you will be able to do any proper custom accessibility programming.

I have an app I am developing that by its nature could only be operated by a sighted user. I also get the same warning you describe. Since I don't plan on making my app accessible to the blind, I just ignore that warning. I suggest you do the same, unless you see a way clear to having blind people use your app.

Reactions: 120684Am
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones